Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - CNRP remembers stampede



CNRP remembers stampede

A man places an offering of fruit yesterday at the memorial site where the CNRP held a commemorative ceremony
Today marks the third anniversary of the tragic Koh Pich bridge stampede. A man places an offering of fruit yesterday at the memorial site where the CNRP held a commemorative ceremony a day early. Heng Chivoan

CNRP remembers stampede

Monks chanted and dozens knelt and prayed as the opposition party held a ceremony remembering the victims of the 2010 Koh Pich bridge stampede yesterday, one day before the Phnom Penh municipality is slated to hold its own memorial ceremony.

The stampede claimed 353 lives on the last day of the 2010 Water Festival, but three years on, “our feelings are still marked by pity and so much suffering”, Cambodia National Rescue Party lawmaker Ho Vann said at the event.

“We are all the same as the families of the dead, and still wonder at how the spot was so narrow, how they stampeded while the bridge was so gridlocked that [people] could not cross and how they were suffocated [in the scrum],” Vann told the assembled crowd. “Only an independent committee that has real experts can properly clarify [what caused] this very strange tragedy.”

Members of the CNRP and public held a ceremony
Members of the CNRP and public held a ceremony yesterday, a day early, to mark the three-year anniversary of the Koh Pich tragedy. Heng Chivoan

After a government investigation into the incident determined that overcrowding and panic caused by the swaying of the bridge had caused the stampede, Prime Minister Hun Sen said that no public officials would be held personally responsible for the tragedy.

CNRP president Sam Rainsy was in Svay Rieng during yesterday’s ceremony, but – speaking through a telephone held up to the loudspeaker – called for an investigation, and seemingly insinuated the possibility of foul play.

“It is careless, but [some] can have bad ideas to kill Khmer people to serve [their] interests. That’s why we demand an investigation to find out who is responsible, [and] to reveal the real reason,” he said.

Attendee Van Youdany, 59, seconded the opposition’s calls, saying “Mr [Hun Sen] must find out the truth of this story”.

Government spokesman Phay Siphan said yesterday that the government had already investigated, and accused the opposition of being overly critical.

“What we found out is that the crowds who crossed there panicked, [because] they were afraid of the bridge breaking. So this is regrettable, [but] this story didn’t just happen in Cambodia, it has happened in all countries.”

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • More than 5K workers rush from Thailand amid outbreak

    Following the recent outbreak of Covid-19 in Thailand’s Samut Sakhon province, Cambodian migrants working in Thailand were gripped by worry over the situation and many rushed to return to their homeland. Over the past 10 days, more than 5,000 migrant workers have returned from Thailand through