Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Conspiracy trial set to start for former PPenh police chief Heng Pov

Conspiracy trial set to start for former PPenh police chief Heng Pov

Conspiracy trial set to start for former PPenh police chief Heng Pov

Sentenced to decades in prison, disgraced cop faces more time behind bars if convicted of plans to murder Military Police Chief Sao Sokha

HENG Pov, Phnom Penh's former police chief who is serving 58 years behind bars for an array of criminal convictions, is expected to go to trial today on charges of conspiring to  murder Military Police Chief Sao Sokha in 2006.

The disgraced top cop's lawyer Kao Soupha told the Post that he doubted his client would receive a fair trial because the court's investigator, Interior Ministry Penal Police Chief Mok Chito, had a long-standing personal dispute with Heng Pov.

"Mok Chito ... has personal conflicts with Heng Pov, so the accusation is unfair," he said.

Mok Chito denied the claim, saying that he had no personal  or professional disagreements with Heng Pov, his former colleague.

"I have no problem with him," he told the Post last week. "He became angry with me when I investigated and found out that he was involved in criminal behaviour when he was my deputy police chief," he added.

Sao Sokha told the Post Sunday that he will not attend today's trial, but will send a colleague to represent him.

"I have no lawyer for my lawsuit but I will  send a representative to the court to defend my complaint," he said.

"My colleague knows this case because he was a witness to the suspect's confession," Sao Sokha added.

Heng Pov was arrested in 2006 in Malaysia, following a six-month bid for political asylum during which he blamed late National Police chief Hok Lundy for a battery of crimes.

Heng Pov has already been convicted of counterfeiting, illegal arrests, murder and extortion. 

MOST VIEWED

  • Serious flooding across country

    The Kampong Speu provincial Committee for Disaster Management on Wednesday issued an alert after non-stop heavy rain caused widespread flooding. In Koh Kong province, authorities are working with the disaster committee and the Cambodian Red Cross to assist those affected after more than 350 homes were

  • CNRP points to King in call for vote boycott

    Leaders of the former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) have taken a new tack in their call for a boycott of the national elections later this month. They are now claiming that the people should follow the King, who is expected to abide by tradition

  • Malaysian MP calls on his government to take stand on Cambodian elections

    A Malaysian parliamentarian raised concerns in his country on Wednesday about Cambodia’s July 29 national elections and urged his government to clarify its position on the subject, the Asean Parliamentarians for Human Rights (APHR) said on Thursday. Wong Chen, a member of the People’s

  • Troop moves ‘won’t worry people’

    Senior officials at the Ministry of Defence and National Police said on Tuesday that riot training provided to the country’s police forces were aimed at preventing unexpected demonstrations and strikes before and after the July 29 national elections. The troop mobilisation, they said, would not