Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Construction workers protest

Construction workers protest

Construction workers protest

MORE than 100 disgruntled workers staged a protest along National Road 2 in Meanchey district’s Chak Angre Leu commune yesterday, after local construction firm KC Gecin Enterprises allegedly dismissed 27 employees last week for attempting to form a union.

Chum Yean, 27, who was among the group of workers fired by the company last Friday, said colleagues had demanded they be reinstated immediately.

“It is an injustice that we were fired. The company discriminated against us because we were planning to set up a union,” he said.

The protest lasted into the evening, but participants said 10 commune police officials tore up their banners.

Chak Angre Leu commune chief Keo Sareoun, who accompanied the police, justified the destruction of the banners by calling the protest illegal.
“They are not allowed to rebel here,” he said.

“It causes traffic jams and is against the law because they did not ask authorities for permission to protest.”

Meoun Tola, head of the labour programme at the Community Legal Education Centre, said it was within the workers’ rights to stage a strike and called the police destruction of their banners a “human rights violation”. He also said the workers were “committed to continuing the strike tomorrow”.

“The authorities should understand Cambodian labour laws better,” he said.

Sok Sovandeth, president of the Cambodian National Federation of Building and Wood Workers, called the firings “discrimination against unions” and “a violation of Cambodian labour laws”.

Touch Sam Ul, head of administration at KC Gecin Enterprises, declined to comment.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will