Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Convicted Australian pedophile dies in Prey Sar

Convicted Australian pedophile dies in Prey Sar

Convicted pedophile Giuseppe Nicolosi seen at the Appeal Court in 2012.
Convicted pedophile Giuseppe Nicolosi seen at the Appeal Court in 2012. Hong Menea

Convicted Australian pedophile dies in Prey Sar

Giuseppe Nicolosi, an Australian national convicted of raping a 5-year-old girl, died from a chronic disease on Sunday while serving an eight-year sentence in Phnom Penh’s Prey Sar prison.

Sorn Keo, a spokesman for the Interior Ministry’s Department of Prisons, said the prisoner developed a rash from the disease and was transferred to the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital on December 1.

“Having seen his picture, it was scary,” Keo said. Nicolosi had served more than five years in Prey Sar, he added.

Nicolosi was arrested on suspicion of having sex with a 5-year-old in Siem Reap province’s Sala Kamroeuk commune in 2010 and sentenced the following year.

The victim retracted her complaint in 2012 following the Siem Reap Provincial Court trial. Nicolosi appealed, claiming he was a victim of a false accusation and police corruption, but the Appeal Court upheld the eight-year sentence.

The body will remain at the hospital while the Australian Embassy informs Nicolosi’s family. The embassy could not be reached for comment.

MOST VIEWED

  • Archeologists find ancient phallic statue

    An archeological team has found a metre-long tipless stone linga (penis) of the Hindu deity Shiva in the foundations of a temple in Kratie province’s historical Samphu Borak area, a former capital of the pre-Angkor Empire Chenla period. Thuy Chanthourn, the deputy director of

  • Man arrested for fake PM endorsement

    The owner of currency exchange company GCG Asia Co Ltd was temporarily detained by the court yesterday for attempted fraud after Prime Minister Hun Sen reacted to the company using his name and pictures to allege his endorsement of the firm. Phnom Penh Municipal Court

  • Sihanoukville authority orders structure dismantled

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration has ordered owners of two unauthorised construction sites to immediately dismantle them and warned of legal action if the owners failed to comply. Ly Chet Niyom, development management and construction bureau chief at the provincial hall, told The Post on

  • Police seek arrest of Chinese ‘gang’

    Cambodian police remain on the lookout for 20 Chinese nationals who earlier this month posted a video clip threatening to stoke insecurity in Preah Sihanouk province, though the Chinese Embassy in Phnom Penh maintained the group posed no threats to Cambodia’s national security. National Police