Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Convicted Kampong Cham teacher still free



Convicted Kampong Cham teacher still free

An exterior view of the school where former teacher Kem Chan Chhen allegedly sexually abused four students last year.
An exterior view of the school where former teacher Kem Chan Chhen allegedly sexually abused four students last year. Eliah Lillis

Convicted Kampong Cham teacher still free

Three weeks after a third arrest warrant was issued for a teacher convicted of sexually assaulting young students in Kampong Cham, police have still failed to arrest him, with the deputy provincial police chief claiming yesterday he had not received a warrant.

Kem Chan Chhen, a former teacher in Kampong Cham province, was found guilty on June 21 of sexually assaulting four girls in his care four years ago and using threats to secure their silence about his abuse.

Judge Ham Mengse sentenced him to five years in prison and issued yet another warrant for his arrest the same day, even though arrest warrants had already been issued in October and in December prior to Chan Chhen’s trial.

Provincial Deputy Police Chief Pol Vuthy defended the authorities’ inaction. “I have not seen the warrant yet and have not received it yet . . . and the previous warrant was invalidated [as it had expired],” Vuthy said.

One of Chan Chhen’s lawyers, Kea Eav, said his client had fled and intended to file an appeal by the end of this week. “The judge was biased. He made the punishment through his desire to get famous,” Eav claimed.

“He did not commit [this crime], and he just got along well with his students and students got along with him too, and this teacher made a mistake in that he broke his ethics,” Eav said, indicating Chan Chhen was merely “friendly” with students and not abusive.

“The judge should not have sentenced him to a heavy five years [in jail],” Eav added.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and