Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Convicted rapist still at large: NGO



Convicted rapist still at large: NGO

Convicted rapist still at large: NGO

Two years after his conviction, a Kampong Chhnang rapist remains free, prompting human rights activists yesterday to slam local law enforcement for their inaction.

According to provincial ADHOC coordinator Sam Chankeat, the police had “no will to find justice” after Mer Virak raped a 20-year-old woman in 2012 in Boribor district’s Melom commune.

The victim’s mother, You Sophorn, said she filed an initial complaint but the perpetrator’s family approached the victim with an offer of marriage.

The victim accepted but, days later, Virak reneged, leading Sophorn to file another complaint, which commune police said was invalid because the victim had previously agreed to wed her rapist.

Sophorn said she then sought out legal representation through Adhoc, and Virak was prosecuted at the provincial level in absentia. Although he was fined 8 million riel (almost $2,000) and sentenced to seven years in prison in 2014, he remains at large.

“I cannot be silent. Now the suspect is still not arrested,” Sophorn said.

Kampong Chhnang provincial police chief Soum Socheat said he was not aware of the case because the charges stemmed from four years ago.

Gender and Development in Cambodia executive director Ros Sopheap said the too-common practice of settling rape cases with compensation or marriage outside of the courtroom needed to stop.

“The rapist or the perpetrator must face responsibility,” she said, adding that perpetrators could become repeat offenders if there were no repercussions for their crimes.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year