Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Cops close casino over cockfighting



Cops close casino over cockfighting

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
cockfighting held in the Global 69 casino recently. Facebook

Cops close casino over cockfighting

The Tbong Khmum Provincial Court on Wednesday ordered the temporary closure of a casino in Memot district for organising cockfights, a provincial police officer said on Thursday.

The provincial police chief for minor crimes, Ly Kim Lon, said the cockfights were held in the Global 69 casino, which was closed by police in accordance with a provincial court order.

“I do not know how many people were detained. The court may know,” he said.

Provincial court spokesman Hak Siek Lim declined to comment on the issue.

Local media outlet Nokor TVonline reported that provincial police and court officers raided the casino, but the owners of the cockfighting ring were not arrested.

This drew criticisms from local residents, who said the authorities were not willing to take legal action against them.

Nokor also reported that the cockfighting operation had been working on a large scale for some time and allowed Cambodians to place bets. It is illegal for Cambodians to gamble in the Kingdom.

As a result of the crackdown, Nokor said, police detained about 500 people, 20 cars and 200 motorbikes.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia's cluster cases jump to 259

    The Ministry of Health on February 27 recorded 26 more cases of Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community transmission, bringing the total to 259 in one week. The 26 include three Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. The ministry noted that five of the Chinese