Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Councillors told they can’t hold two posts

Councillors told they can’t hold two posts

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Minister of Interior Sar Kheng (centre) on Monday issued a directive to all provincial and district councillors reminding them that any adviser or assistant positions they were assigned before March’s municipal, provincial and district council elections are no longer valid. SAR KHENG VIA FACEBOOK

Councillors told they can’t hold two posts

The Ministry of Interior issued a directive on Monday to all provincial and district councillors, reminding them that any adviser or assistant positions they were assigned before March’s municipal, provincial and district council elections were no longer valid.

The directive also stated that advisers or assistants appointed after the election must only hold one position as an adviser, assistant or councillor.

The directive, issued by Minister of Interior Sar Kheng, said the ministry had been made aware that there are provincial and district councillors in office who had been appointed advisers or assistants before the election.

If those individuals were elected during the March polls, the directive continued, they could only hold their elected position, with their previously held positions as advisers or assistants now void.

The directive also said all elected councillors who had been appointed as advisers or assistants after the election must decide between their roles and only receive one salary.

Ministry of Interior spokesperson Phat Sophanit could not be reached for comment on the directive.

Ros Pharith, the Svay Rieng province deputy governor, said on Tuesday that he had seen the directive and his administration would follow it.

He said he will check to see if any of his current councillors had held an advisory position before the election and would ensure government officials in his department were receiving only one salary.

“I am not sure if anyone in my department holds two positions, but this directive is to prevent such things from happening. If they have two positions, they need to take only one of them. So they should think which one is best for them and take it,” he said.

Vei Samnang, the Kampong Speu provincial governor, said the directive made it clear that a civil servant must hold only one position in order to carry out work with due attention.

“Maybe in some places those who were elected as provincial councillors still hold positions as advisers or assistants and have not resigned from those positions. So, this is just a reminder to them to leave that position,” Samnang said.

San Chey, the Affiliated Network for Social Accountability executive director, said government officials should only hold one position and it is strange to hear that some provincial or district councillors had previously been appointed as advisers or assistants.

He said elected officials should only serve in the position that the constituents elected them for.

“I think it is a good idea to annul the positions as advisers or assistants for those in the position of councillor,” he said.

Meanwhile, Sar Kheng said on Tuesday that the government’s decentralising efforts were facing challenges as some national leaders who wished to retain power were impeding the process.

“We intend to reform the district and city [administration] structures. If this has not been done, the administration will be abandoned and it will be wasting of a lot of resources from the national budget,” he said, urging authorities to speed up the reforms.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh International Airport wins award as passenger traffic soars

    The Phnom Penh International Airport has been awarded Best Asia Pacific Regional Airport 2019 for its sustained high growth in passenger traffic in recent years. The award was presented by the Capa Centre for Aviation (Capa) – a world-leading and trusted organisation that provides market intelligence to

  • PM responds to Rainsy ticket claims

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Monday expressed frustration over claims by Sam Rainsy that he had altered Rainsy’s ticket with Thai Airways to prevent him boarding his November 7 flight to Thailand, from where he had claimed he would enter Cambodia. Hun Sen made the

  • Gov’t: Rainsy’s ‘coup plot’ a failure

    The government on Wednesday commended the Kingdom’s security forces for thwarting the attempted “coup plot” by former opposition leader Sam Rainsy through his announced return to Cambodia on November 9. The comments came as Rainsy, the “acting president” of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue

  • Chinese tourists lead international visitors

    Chinese tourists again topped the list of foreign visitors to Cambodia during the first nine months of this year, with the Ministry of Tourism on Wednesday reporting a 30 per cent increase on the same period last year. The Kingdom received 4.81 million international tourists in that

  • Princess Buppha Devi passes away aged 77

    Princess Norodom Buppha Devi, who was famous for her skills and key roles behind the Kingdom’s Royal Ballet, passed away on Monday from unspecified illness at a hospital in the Thai capital Bangkok, according to the official Facebook page of King Norodom Sihamoni. “May

  • PM: Request for release of plotters not due to pressure

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Saturday said his request to have the supporters of former opposition leader Sam Rainsy and his “coup plot” released on bail was not made under international pressure. Speaking at the groundbreaking ceremony for the construction of 34 roads in Preah Sihanouk