Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - ‘Coup inciter’ was in my unit, says army brass

‘Coup inciter’ was in my unit, says army brass

Som Sovanara, who the government accuses of attempting to incite a coup, is shown in a screengrab from a videotaped message. Facebook
Som Sovanara, who the government accuses of attempting to incite a coup, is shown in a screengrab from a videotaped message. Facebook

‘Coup inciter’ was in my unit, says army brass

The Ministry of Defence and Royal Cambodian Armed Forces (RCAF) have offered conflicting accounts as to whether a Cambodian living in Canada, Som Sovanara, who allegedly called for a coup on YouTube, ever served in the Cambodian military.

Defence Ministry spokesman Chhum Socheat said the RCAF had searched through its rosters but found no trace of Sovanara, who sent an image of what he said was his army ID card to a Post reporter yesterday.

“His name wasn’t on the list of 100,000 soldiers . . . He faked it in order to cause chaos,” Socheat said. “I am checking on this issue of where he got the documents from.”

However, Lieutenant General Srey Deuk, commander of RCAF Intervention Division Three, yesterday said he took Sovanara on as a soldier for less than half a year in late 2011 to make use of his computer skills.

However, Deuk said Sovanara had never signed a contract.

Sovanara told the Post last week that he was granted asylum by Canada in 2013. However, Socheat said the Defence Ministry was optimistic Sovanara would be apprehended.

“We have many procedures [available to us]. His home was here, his relatives live here. He flew away, but he left his nest. We have our ways and we are working on it,” Socheat said. “If we did not have hope, we would not do this.”

Phnom Penh Municipal Court administrator Y Rin said yesterday that a prosecutor had been assigned to Sovanara’s case but denied knowing any further details. Court spokesman Ly Sophana could not be reached for comment.

In a message yesterday, Sovanara said he was not worried about getting arrested, but would not surrender.

“If the courts had independence and justice I would come to answer at the court,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said