Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Couple lose thousands in capital clash

Couple lose thousands in capital clash

Couple lose thousands in capital clash

Two armed thieves who allegedly stole about $30,000 and jewels from a couple on Wednesday night escaped after firing two shots and injuring a woman in the leg.

Police said the thieves, riding a motorbike, followed the couple as they drove home in their Lexus from the pawnshop they own near the NagaWorld casino, in Phnom Penh.

The two victims – Say Kunthear, 36, and her husband San Kakada, 32 – were robbed when they reached their home and got out of the car at 8pm, said Chum Savuth, the chief of police in Chak Angre Leu commune, where the couple live.

After the robbery, he added, the suspects sped away on their motorbike and the victims called the police.

“Kunthear was seriously injured and sent to Calmette hospital after she was shot in the thigh,” said Chum Savuth.

The husband was not injured.

The police are still searching for the suspects, and are gathering evidence to make an arrest.

 

To contact the reporter on this story: Kim Sarom at [email protected]
 

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not