Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Court balks at Borei Keila request

Court balks at Borei Keila request

Court balks at Borei Keila request

120124_05

Borei Keila residents’ attempts to have seven villagers freed from prison hit a hurdle yesterday when a Phnom Penh Municipal Court clerk told them that their written request could not be accepted because it wasn’t formal enough, they said.

Hong Menea/Phnom Penh Post
Former Borei Keila residents sit outside Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday.

Pich Limkhoun, a representative of 37 Borei Keila residents who gathered in front of city hall to lodge the request, said they were shocked to have their thumbprinted letter handed back because it was not formally addressed to the court.

“The court clerk, whose name I don’t know, told us that he could not accept our request because it did not comply with court procedure,” he said.

The letter, obtained by the Post, asks the government and the municipal court to intervene to release seven villagers detained in Prey Sar prison since violent clashes in Borei Keila on January 3 and to make development firm Phan Imex build the final two buildings it agreed in 2003 to construct.

The letter also asks Phan Imex to compensate villagers whose houses were destroyed on January 3 and 4 and protesters who were detained in Prey Speu social affairs centre from January 11 to 18.
The court clerk could not be reached for comment.

Eight villagers were charged with using violence against public officials on January 3 and seven remain in Prey Sar prison.

Their defence lawyer, Chin Lyda, said the municipal court had released one of his clients, Mom Vuthdy, on January 17.

Mom Vuthdy’s husband Brak Sophal told the Post that Phan Imex owner Suy Sophan and the authority had since given them a flat.

“We are happy to live in a flat in Borei Keila,” he said.

About 50 people from families who were evicted and resettled in Kandal province have returned to Borei Keila, despite having no houses to live in.

One of them, Hang Moeuth, 29, said he and others had been unable to find work close to their relocation site and returned to Phnom Penh because they were desperate for money.

“I came to Phnom Penh to earn money for food, because we are poor,” he said.

“We will die of starvation if we cannot find a job in Phnom Penh.”

The plots that Phan Imex had given them in Kandal province were 4.75 metres by 12 metres, which were smaller than they were promised, he added.

MOST VIEWED

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Long way to go before Cambodia gets a ‘smart city’

    Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang will struggle to attain smart city status without adopting far reaching master plans, according to officials tasked with implementing the program. The brainchild of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), the smart city program seeks to link up

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman

  • China-Cambodia tourism forum held

    The Cambodian tourism sector must be prepared to welcome a growing number of Chinese tourists, as they lead the globe in the number of outbound travellers and were responsible for the most visitors to the Kingdom last year, the country’s tourism minister said on