Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Court calls on widow of Kem Ley to appear



Court calls on widow of Kem Ley to appear

Kem Ley’s wife, Bou Rachana, weeps outside the CalTex Star shop in Phnom Penh where her husband was shot in July.
Kem Ley’s wife, Bou Rachana, weeps outside the CalTex Star shop in Phnom Penh where her husband was shot in July. Hong Menea

Court calls on widow of Kem Ley to appear

Bou Rachana, widow of murdered political activist Kem Ley, has been issued a summons to testify as a civil party, despite sources claiming she never filed a complaint.

The summons – the second issued since Rachana fled the country following her husband’s murder – was issued on Tuesday, just days after Rachana gave birth to a son in self-imposed exile.

“We invite Bou Rachana, 34, the plaintiff to enter for interrogation of the intentional murder and illegal weapons possession,” reads the summons signed by Judge Seng Leang. It requests that she testify in court on October 17.

Ley was gunned down at a capital petrol station on July 9 in an attack that is widely seen as politically motivated.

Shortly after the murder, police apprehended 44-year-old Oeut Ang who claimed he shot Ley over an alleged debt.

His pregnant wife and four children fled the country fearing for their safety two months later.

Yesterday, Prince Sisowath Thomico and rights activist Moeun Tola, who has previously offered the family legal counsel, both said Rachana had never filed an official complaint.

“She won’t be coming home any time soon,” the prince added.

Activist monk But Buntenh, a member of Ley’s funeral committee, called the summons “nonsense” while legal expert Sok Sam Oeun said the case was “strange” and claimed he had never seen a summons issued to a civil party that did not make a complaint.

Contacted yesterday, Phnom Penh Municipal Court spokesman Ly Sophana would say only that the court had followed “proper procedure”.

Meanwhile, Phnom Penh’s City Hall has nixed plans to hold a Buddhist 100-day ceremony for Ley at the Botum Vatey pagoda in the capital’s Wat Botum park.

A letter signed by Phnom Penh Deputy Governor Khuong Sreng on Tuesday and made public yesterday suggests the ceremony be held in Ley’s home province of Takeo instead.

Sreng told the Post the area is not for funerals and warned of legal action should it be held there.

“If we do not allow them to do and they continue to do it, we will follow the law as well. I am the municipal deputy governor, I will not allow that to happen,” Sreng said.

Funeral committee member Pa Nguon Teang yesterday said they plan to hold the ceremony at Botum Vatey pagoda all the same.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants