Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Court clerk’s day in court proves pricey

Court clerk’s day in court proves pricey

Court clerk’s day in court proves pricey

130117 05
Former Phnom Penh Municipal Court clerk Kruoch Borath arrives at court for his hearing, Wednesday, Jan. 16, 2013. Photograph: Pha Lina/Phnom Penh Post

Former Phnom Penh Municipal Court clerk Kruoch Borath appeared at his former workplace yesterday to face accusations of embezzling a $250,000 settlement in a 2011 civil case.

Borath told the court he had received a total of $250,000 over the course of six payments, but had kept only the first payment of $75,000, which he used as capital to lend out and earn interest.

The rest of the money, he said, was passed to court deputy president Ke Sakhan.

“Judge Ke Sakhan signed all the letters with the amounts of money on them, [saying] to put [the money] in the court’s bank account. He also ordered me to put the $75,000 I took in the bank, but I did not comply, and used that money for my personal benefit.”

Borath, 45, was arrested by police from the Ministry of Interior on October 29 last year at a club in Chamkarmon district after the court’s issuance of an arrest warrant accusing him of breach of trust and faking public documents.

Ke Sakhan, now a judge at the Takeo Provincial Court and also a plaintiff in the case, said he had never received any money from Borath and that the ex-clerk had used the money in question to buy a house and farm in Preah Sihanouk.

“I never saw the money. I did not sign or stamp those letters,” he said, demanding $500,000 in damages from Boroth for slander.

The $250,000 was originally intended to pay a court-ordered settlement in a case that took place in 2010 and 2011, Chung Lingheng, a lawyer who represented the party that was required to pay the money, said.

Lingheng said he had made the six payments to Boroth, with each one bearing the signature of Judge Sakhan.

Boroth’s defence, citing irregularities in the case, requested a re-investigation.

Presiding Judge Sin Visal said that in any event, either the verdict or a ruling on the re-investigation would be announced on February 6. 

 

To contact the reporter on this story: Lieng Sarith at [email protected]
 

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman