Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Court denies Brit bail despite new evidence



Court denies Brit bail despite new evidence

British businessman Gregg Thomas Fryett (centre) leaves the Phnom Penh Municipal Court earlier this year after a hearing.
British businessman Gregg Thomas Fryett (centre) leaves the Phnom Penh Municipal Court earlier this year after a hearing. Pha Lina

Court denies Brit bail despite new evidence

The Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday denied the bail request of alleged British fraudster Gregg Fryett, despite his defence presenting new evidence from the Ministry of Interior that appears to clear him of at least one of the charges of which he stands accused.

Fryett – who is also wanted in Britain for allegedly cheating elderly investors – has been charged in Cambodian court with fraud with aggravating circumstances, bribery, faking public documents, using the fake documents and clearing and occupying state forests illegally.

However, according to Ministry of Interior documents presented by his defence yesterday, the forests in question had already been cleared upon their sale to Fryett by Mao Maley, a businesswoman and the wife of Deputy Prime Minister Ke Kimyan.

The ministry’s investigation said nothing about the other charges against Fryett, and presiding judge Chuon Soreasey ruled that it was still necessary to keep him in jail to ensure his presence at his upcoming trial.

“If he does not accept this court’s decision, he can appeal it to Court of Appeal under the procedures of Cambodian law,” Soreasey said.

In an email yesterday, Fryett said he would do just that, and called the case against him “a clearly illegal prosecution” in light of the new evidence, of which there would be more to follow, he said.

“There is more evidence to come to court,” he said. “We shall see how far the current court wants to go.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and