Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Court hears battery convicts’ appeal

Court hears battery convicts’ appeal

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Two of three convicts involved in an assault case against another inmate at Prey Sar prison had their appeal heard on Thursday.

Court hears battery convicts’ appeal

Two of three convicts involved in an assault case against another inmate at Prey Sar prison had their appeal heard on Thursday.

The Phnom Penh Municipal Court has previously handed down a two-year jail term on San Long, 25, Pun Dam, 24 and Chivoan for assaulting another inmate in his cell on April 5, 2017, resulting in the victim’s collapse.

The verdict translated to two additional years on top of the trio’s existing sentence at the time. They each had been previously convicted of theft with a two-year jail term.

During Thursday’s Appeal Court hearing, Presiding Judge Nhoung Thol said only two of the three convicts had filed an appeal.

“The victim was kicked in the chest. If it hit a critical spot, the victim could have died,” Judge Thol told the duo.

One of the convicts, Dam, defended his actions, saying the fight started because the victim had insulted him.

“I was angry with him. I could have been released in 2017, but because I committed this offence, I am still locked up at the prison,” said Dam. “I ask the court to reduce my sentence.”

Long told the judge that he did not attack the victim, even though he had been accused of directing his assault in the victim’s facial area.

Prosecutor Pen Sarath said the two convicts had admitted that they indeed committed assault.

After the 20-minute hearing, Judge Thol said the verdict will be announced on June 13.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will

  • Chinese-owned shops are on the rise in central Phnom Penh

    Informal businesses owned by Chinese nationals are on the rise in central Phnom Penh, especially in Tonle Bassac commune, surrounding Koh Pich. Such businesses have sprung up notably in Central Market, Orussey Market, Sovanna Shopping Mall, Rattana Plaza, as well as Kakab commune across from