Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Court hears Heng Pov appeal

Court hears Heng Pov appeal

Court hears Heng Pov appeal

THE Appeal Court yesterday heard appeals from disgraced former police chief Heng Pov and his accomplices in relation to their convictions in two separate charges that date back to 2003, with Heng Pov requesting that the court merge all of his charges into one.

Heng Pov was sentenced in 2006 to 18 years in prison for masterminding the April 2003 slaying of Phnom Penh municipal judge Sok Sethamoni.

The court also handed down 16-year sentences to five police officers implicated in the murder; Ly Rasy, Prum Sophearith, Hang Vutha and Am Samkheng, as well as Hang Vuthy, who remains at large.

Heng Pov was also convicted in March of last year for the attempted murder in 2003 of military police official Sao Sokha, and received a further 18 years in prison. Ly Rasy received a 16-year sentence, while the other four received 15 years.

Since his 2006 arrest, he has been sentenced to nearly 100 years in prison on a raft of charges including extortion, kidnapping and murder.

Yesterday, Heng Pov denied involvement in both charges, claiming that he had never had any prior dispute with the judge.

In the case of Sao Sokha’s attempted murder, he said the conviction was based on an anonymous letter, which he claimed in court was an “invented story”.

Heng Pov later requested that the court merge 10 of his 16 charges, and that the court drop the remaining six.

Under Cambodian Law, if the charges are merged he will serve only the largest of the sentences he has received.

Judges said they would consider the request, and Presiding Judge Choun Sunleng said a verdict was set for December 2.

MOST VIEWED

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh