Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Court orders further probe into cases of RFA journos



Court orders further probe into cases of RFA journos

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Yeang Sothearin (left) and Oun Chhin (immediately behind) speak to media outside court on Thursday. Heng Chivoan

Court orders further probe into cases of RFA journos

After a hearing on Thursday, the Phnom Penh Municipal Court ordered further investigation into the cases of two former Radio Free Asia (RFA) reporters charged with espionage and the production of pornography.

Oun Chhin and Yeang Sothearin were arrested in November 2017 and charged with “providing information undermining national defence to a foreign state” under Article 445 of the Criminal Code.

The offence is punishable with a prison sentence of between seven and 15 years if found guilty.

In March last year, the court charged Chhin with the “production of pornography” under Article 39 of the Law on Suppression of Human Trafficking and Sexual Exploitation, which carries a maximum sentence of one year in jail.

Chhin and Sothearin, also known as Sochea Meta, said they were frustrated to have still not received a verdict after the trial concluded, with a ruling originally set to be announced on August 30.

Present in court on Thursday were observers from the US embassy and rights group Adhoc, as well as members of the local and international media.

Investigating Judge Im Vannak said that having listened to the statements of the accused and the concluding arguments of their lawyer, the court found that the case needed further investigation due to a lack of evidence.

“The evidence related to the offences concerned is not clear. The court, therefore, orders further investigation to gather more evidence to meet the requirements necessary for the issuing of a verdict,” Judge Vannak said.

Sothearin told The Post that he did not understand the decision.

“We find it difficult to understand because the investigation was closed and the case sent to trial. It then took longer than stated for the judge to issue a verdict, and now the case is said to be lacking enough evidence to make a judgement,” he said.

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Former RFA reporters Oun Chhin (left) and Yeang Sothearin. Heng Chivoan

He said the decision would give the public the impression that the courts did not value dispensing justice to the people as their case had been ongoing for more than two years.

This, he said, was ample time for the court to reach a verdict.

“We want to stress that we currently face daily difficulties. We live under pressure from the court, we don’t have full rights and can’t enjoy freedom like everybody else,” Sothearin said.

Chhin and Sothearin were arrested on the night of November 14, 2017, as they set up a studio at the seven-storey Marady guesthouse in Meanchey district’s Stung Meanchey commune in Phnom Penh.

They were suspected of having provided information to the RFA based in Washington, DC, in the US without permission.

Chak Sopheap, the executive director of the Cambodian Centre for Human Rights (CCHR) who attended the hearing, said Chhin and Sothearin had been detained for nine months before being released on bail. The court had then heard their case in late July and early August this year.

“I would like to take this opportunity to call on the court to consider dropping the charges against Chhin and Sothearin. I also request the government to protect the freedom of journalists so they can fulfil their duties lawfully,” she said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • AstraZeneca jabs touch down in Phnom Penh airport

    The first shipment of 324,000 doses of the AstraZeneca/SII vaccine which was provided through the Covid-19 Vaccines Global Access (COVAX) Facility was delivered to Phnom Penh International Airport on March 2. The rest of the COVAX provided vaccines will arrive in Cambodia at a later date.

  • Preah Sihanouk hit with travel ban

    Preah Sihanouk Provincial Administration has announced a temporary travel ban to and from the province, except for ambulances and trucks transporting goods. The announcement came after prime minister Hun Sen called on people in the province to travel only if necessary, and that people not