Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Court orders rehearing of recruiting firm case




Court orders rehearing of recruiting firm case

Lin Yu-shin, general manager of the defunct Giant Ocean recruitment firm, covers her face as she leaves the municipal court in Phnom Penh in 2014.
Lin Yu-shin, general manager of the defunct Giant Ocean recruitment firm, covers her face as she leaves the municipal court in Phnom Penh in 2014. Hong Menea

Court orders rehearing of recruiting firm case

The Supreme Court yesterday ordered a lower court to rehear the appeal of an April 2014 sentence against the manager of the Giant Ocean recruiting firm, who was found guilty of human trafficking and ordered to pay $2,000 to $15,000 to 74 victims.

The former manager of the now-defunct firm, Lin Yu-shin, was sentenced to 10 years in prison by the Phnom Penh Municipal Court. Both she and her victims appealed the decision, but the Appeal Court in April 2015 upheld the sentence and the compensation.

Yet Supreme Court presiding Judge Kim Sathavy said the Appeal Court had erred in upholding the decision, given that at least 200 people say they fell victim to Giant Ocean.

“The case has to be returned to the Appeal Court to be tried again since the decision of the Appeal Court was not right. The compensation has not been settled yet,” Judge Sathavy said.

It was estimated at the time of the trial that there may have been up to 1,000 workers who were enslaved after being recruited by Giant Ocean. Many said they were told their salaries had been paid to Lin.

The lawyer for the 215 victims, Kea Saphal, said yesterday more victims were still coming forward and that the municipal court’s original decision on the compensation had been inconsistent and inadequate.

“The court ordered the company to compensate the victims unequally,” Saphal said.

The “important” thing Saphal said, was the $100,000 deposited by Giant Ocean to the Labour Ministry when it registered in Cambodia, which some of the victims have said should be used as compensation.

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old

  • Ministry set to reopen 20 schools in August

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport will allow 20 high-safety-standards schools to reopen next month despite new cases of Covid-19 in the country. Ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha wrote in a Telegram message on Wednesday that the schools are in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang.