Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Court overturns casino closure order



Court overturns casino closure order

Court overturns casino closure order

On October 5, the Cambodian Court of Appeal issued a ruling in favour of Somboon Sukcharoenkraisri overturning the decision of the Banteay Meanchey Court of First Instance which was obtained by Donaco International Limited and its affiliated company DNA Star Vegas Co Ltd, which had previously ordered the temporary closure of the Star Paradise and Star Paramax casinos located in Poipet.

In its recent ruling obtained by The Post, the Court of Appeal has dismissed the allegations previously made by Donaco and DNA Star Vegas against the defendants.

It found that the allegations had not been based on any reliable evidence which indicated or proved any such alleged involvement of Sukcharoenkraisri.

The Court of Appeal also ruled that the injunction requested by Donaco and DNA Star Vegas was made in violation of various provisions of the Code of Civil Procedure of Cambodia.

In December last year, Donaco and DNA Star Vegas obtained an injunction against Sukcharoenkraisri, Lee Bug Tong, Lee Bug Huy, MMD Travel Agency, Travel Company Limited and Lee Hoe Property Co, Ltd, ordering the temporary closure of the Star Paradise and Star Paramax casinos.

The injunction was overturned completely by the Court of Appeal’s recent order on grounds that neither of the casinos are owned or operated by Sukcharoenkraisri.

Hence, the ruling of the Court of Appeal is final and binding upon Donaco and DNA Star Vegas and the previous injunction is no longer in effect.

The Post has learnt that Sukcharoenkraisri and other parties who are alleged to have suffered loss and damage caused by the injunction and the actions of Donaco and DNA Star, have engaged lawyers in Cambodia, Thailand, Singapore and Australia, and intend to file proceedings, including for defamation, against Donaco and DNA Star.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • More than 5K workers rush from Thailand amid outbreak

    Following the recent outbreak of Covid-19 in Thailand’s Samut Sakhon province, Cambodian migrants working in Thailand were gripped by worry over the situation and many rushed to return to their homeland. Over the past 10 days, more than 5,000 migrant workers have returned from Thailand through