Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Court summons sacked teachers for second time

Court summons sacked teachers for second time

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Rong Chhun walked out from Phnom Penh Municipal Court. Heng Chivoan

Court summons sacked teachers for second time

Former National Election Committee (NEC) member Rong Chhun and 10 other former teachers have been summoned for a second time by the Phnom Penh Municipal Court to appear on Wednesday in their unfair dismissal case against the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport after their sacking last year.

According to a March 13 summons The Post received on Sunday, Judge Ros Piseth has ordered the 11 to appear in court at 9am. Chhun had just returned from a trip abroad which meant he missed the first hearing.

He said on Sunday that the former teachers would appear at the court as required to argue against the ministry’s decision and have their jobs reinstated.

He expressed hope that the court would rule in their favour and approve their request because they did not act as accused by the ministry. He claimed the decision to fire them was politically motivated.

“I will go to clarify the case without fear because the case is a civil complaint. We believe our sacking by the Ministry of Education was unjust."

“The ministry did not follow procedure, deciding only by themselves and without speaking to us as in accordance to the laws on civil servants,” Chhun said.

Ly Tith Bonamy, a lawyer representing the Ministry of Education, said it was an administrative case so the court would follow civil procedure. He said this first stage was referred to as “preparation”.

He said at this stage, each side explains their case to the court and submits evidence. The next stage would be the hearing itself.

On January 16, the 11 former education officials filed a complaint to the municipal court against Minister of Education Hang Chuon Naron requesting the court reverse the ministry’s decision to sack them.

Rong Chhun, the former president of the Cambodian Independent Teachers Association, said at the time that the teachers had asked for temporary leave from their roles at the ministry to work as former opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) members of the commune, district and provincial councils, and for the NEC.

After the Supreme Court dissolved the opposition CNRP on November 16, 2017, he said the 11 lost their positions at the bodies and asked to return to their jobs at the ministry.

However, the ministry issued a statement saying they had been sacked as they had been absent without permission.

MOST VIEWED

  • Purging Sihanoukville’s past with a new masterplan

    Amid illicit activities, haphazard development and abandoned projects, the coastal city of Sihanouk province needs a reset to move forward. A new masterplan might be the answer to shake off its seemingly mucky image to become the Shenzhen of the south Gun toting, shootouts, police

  • Chinese may be first in tourism revival: PM

    Cambodia's tourism industry is gearing up to roll out the red carpet for Chinese travellers after Prime Minister Hun Sen on September 17 indicated that the Kingdom could soon throw open its doors to international holidaymakers vaccinated against Covid-19 – starting with guests from China. Cambodia Chinese

  • Tourism concerns laid bare

    To ensure the success of plans to reopen the tourism market for international visitors, Cambodia must pay utmost attention to two primary determinants – the ongoing paradigm shift in domestic tourism services towards the ‘new normal’, and the factors influencing choices of destinations among foreign holidaymakers.

  • Airline says ready for green light to reopen international tourism

    Sky Angkor Airline Co Ltd on September 21 said it is ready to transport South Korean and Chinese tourists to the Kingdom once the Cambodian government makes good on plans to reopen its borders to vaccinated travellers. The Siem Reap-based airline made the remark during a

  • Covid jab drive for 6-11 age group to begin Sept 17

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has permitted Covid-19 vaccinations for over 1.8 million children aged 6-11 across the country from September 17 in order for them to return to school after a long hiatus. Hun Sen also hinted that vaccinations for the 3-6 age group will follow in

  • No ‘Crown Prince’ exists to buy France football club: ministry

    The Ministry of the Royal Palace has denied media reports that a Cambodian “Crown Prince” had purchased the AS Saint Etienne football club of France’s top-flight LIGUE 1 at the cost of €100 million ($117 million). In a press statement on September 19, the ministry stressed that Cambodia