Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Court upholds bride trafficker’s sentence



Court upholds bride trafficker’s sentence

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A woman (left) who was found guilty of attempting to marry off two Cambodian ladies to Chinese nationals in 2016. Kim Sarom

Court upholds bride trafficker’s sentence

The Appeal Court upheld a lower court’s eight-year sentence on a woman who was found guilty of attempting to marry off two Cambodian ladies to Chinese nationals in 2016.

Judge Plang Samnang read out the verdict on Tuesday, before Ouch Senghong, 45, from Tbong Khmum province’s Krouch Chhmar district.

“The Appeal Court has decided to uphold the Phnom Penh Municipal Court’s verdict, which means you will be sentenced to eight years in prison. However, if you are not satisfied with the verdict, you have the right to appeal to the Supreme Court, one month after the verdict is issued,” he said.

During the trial on August 8, Senghong told the judge that while she was working as a waitress at a restaurant in Krouch Chhmar district from June 6-9, 2016, a man asked her to find young women who are keen to marry Chinese men.

He told her that if she can help arrange the women for marriage purposes, he would give her $2,000 as a commission.

Senghong said she took up the offer as she came from a poor family and has a daughter married to a Chinese national and living in China as well.

She then contacted two girls – aged 21 and 26 – and invited them to Phnom Penh and prepared the necessary travel documents.

Senghong told the judge that since she had experience in preparing such documents for her daughter, she did not face any problem in doing the paperwork for the two women.

The two victims lodged a complaint with the police, and this led to Senghong’s arrest on human trafficking charges.

Her case was heard by the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on January 3, last year, and she was sentenced to eight years in prison for attempt trafficking under Article 10 of the Law on Suppression of Human Trafficking and Sexual Exploitation.

In addition, the court ordered Senghong to pay two million riel in compensation to each victim.

On the day of the trial, the Appeal Court concluded that the Phnom Penh Municipal Court acted in accordance to the law.

Chea Panha, the defendant’s lawyer, said her client had confessed and cooperated at every stage of the trial, and therefore the court should reduce her punishment.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and