Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Court upholds Rainsy’s conviction for ‘forgery’

Court upholds Rainsy’s conviction for ‘forgery’

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Former CNRP head Sam Rainsy arrives to speak to the press in Tokyo in November 2015. YOSHIKAZU TSUNO/afp

Court upholds Rainsy’s conviction for ‘forgery’

The Supreme Court on Monday upheld the five-year prison sentence handed to former Cambodia National Rescue Party president Sam Rainsy for his involvement in the dissemination of forged Cambodia-Vietnam border documents.

“The Supreme Court decided to uphold the Appeal Court’s decision. As for the grounds of the decision, I cannot explain. All I can say is that the Supreme Court upheld the Appeal Court’s verdict,” said Ouk Kimseth, its deputy prosecutor.

Last week, the court heard an appeal by Rainsy, who, along with his two Facebook administrators, was convicted in absentia in December 2016 and sentenced to five years’ imprisonment on charges of “being an accomplice in faking public documents and incitement”.

Rainsy and the two administrators – Sambath Satya and Ueng Chong Leang, both in their 20s – fled to France.

This case originated from a video clip that was posted on Rainsy’s Facebook page in August 2015.

In the over 10-minute video clip, Hong Sok Hour, then a Sam Rainsy Party senator, presented a “fake” version of a 1979 treaty that purported to dissolve the border between Cambodia and Vietnam.

Sam Sokong, Sam Rainsy’s defence lawyer, last week argued that Rainsy could not be responsible for the Facebook post because he was out of the country at the time and did not return until five days later.

Sokong did not attend the verdict announcement and said he declines to proffer an opinion on the decision.

“The decision is final, so I have no comment,” Sokong said.

Sok Hour was sentenced to seven years in prison in November 2016. However, he was pardoned last year after apologising to Prime Minister Hun Sen.

MOST VIEWED

  • Time to avert disastrous Covid situation: officials

    The Covid-19 situation in Cambodia is heading towards further large-scale community transmission as the total number of confirmed cases is nearing 61,000 and the death toll passed 900 on July 10, senior health officials warned. Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine expressed concern that the country was going

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Visa A holders get to quarantine at Himawari Hotel

    The Ministry of Health has permitted foreign diplomats, UN and International NGO officials to undergo quarantine at Himawari Hotel in the capital in case they do not have a separate place suitable for this purpose, but the government would not be responsible for the expenses.

  • Baby saved as mother is lost to Covid

    Newborn baby Neth David has had a rough start in the world. His mother, Vong Daneth, was seven months pregnant when she contracted a severe case of Covid-19. When it became clear to her doctors that she would not survive, they performed a cesarean section

  • Jabs for kids bring hope for school reopenings

    Cambodia is tentatively planning to reopen schools – at least at the secondary level – when the vaccination of children aged 12-17 is completed, even though daily transmissions and deaths in other age groups remain high. Schools across the country have been suspended since March 20, one month

  • Hun Sen: Get 12-17 age group ready for Covid jabs

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has told parents of children aged 12-17 in Phnom Penh and the provinces of Kandal and Preah Sihanouk to get them ready for vaccinations soon. “There is a need to vaccinate children and youths aged 12 to 17. According to the statistics provided