Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Court urged to speed up trial of PM’s cousin




Court urged to speed up trial of PM’s cousin

Court urged to speed up trial of PM’s cousin

The lawyer representing a woman involved in a land dispute and corruption case against Prime Minister Hun Sen’s cousin, Di Prem, and a former high-ranking government official, Seng Yean, called on the Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday to accelerate the pair’s much-delayed trial.

Kao Ty also alleged that the trial’s numerous delays were because of Di Prem’s link to the Prime Minister and said this was damaging the livelihood of his client, Huot Sarom, a resident of the capital’s Dangkor district.

“It’s been more than two years since charges have been filed against these two suspects, but the court still has yet to make any decision other than ordering repeated investigations,” Kao Ty told the Post yesterday.

“This delay is adversely affecting my client’s living situation. As a result, I’m appealing to the court to accelerate the process and set the trial date as early as possible so that justice can be found for my client,” he added.

The dispute began with a 2008 directive issued by the Council of Ministers ordering that 120 families be allowed to remain on six hectares of land in Kakab commune, despite Huot Sarom’s claims of ownership.

Controversy later emerged when Seng Yean, deputy director general of inspection at the Ministry of National Assembly-Senate Relations, was accused of accepting a US$200,000 bribe from Di Prem on behalf of the families.

Seng Yean was removed from his position in July 2009 and he and Di Prem were charged over the alleged bribe by the court on August 7 of that year.

The case has encountered multiple delays since then, the latest coming in May of this year when presiding judge Duch Kimsorn called for further investigation.

Kao Ty said yesterday that he submitted a formal letter of request to the court, dated September 1, asking for the trial to begin again.

Presiding judge Seng Neang confirmed receipt of Kao Ty’s request and said that the case would begin before the end of this year.

“The case is currently being re-investigated and that investigation has not yet been completed. I expect the trial to start in November or December,” he said yesterday.

If found guilty, Seng Yean faces between three and seven years in prison, while Di Prem faces between one and three years.

MOST VIEWED

  • Thousands attend CNRP-organised pro-democracy vigil in South Korea

    Thousands of supporters of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) on Saturday gathered in the South Korean city of Gwangju to hold a candlelight demonstration calling for the “liberation” of democracy in Cambodia. Yim Sinorn, a CNRP member in South Korea, said on

  • US Embassy: Chinese trade does not help like the West’s

    The US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Friday said relations between China and Cambodia did not create jobs or help industry when compared to the trade between the Kingdom and the US. “About 87 per cent of trade [with China] are Chinese imports, which do not

  • Vietnamese land-grabbers held

    Following a provincial court order, Ratanakkiri Military Police on April 16 arrested 12 Vietnamese nationals accused of crossing the border into Cambodia and illegally clearing forest land. The accused are now being detained at Phnom Svay prison in the province. Ratanakkiri military police commander Thav Yen told

  • Eight people sent to court over violent protest

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities on Sunday sent eight people to court for blocking National Road 4 and using violence against authorities in a land dispute in Prey Nop district’s Bit Traing commune. Four police officers and two commune security guards sustained injuries when the protesters