The Ministry of Health on Monday confirmed that another Covid-19 patient has been discharged from hospital, bringing the total number of recoveries to 124.
The 26-year-old Cambodian man from Tbong Khmum province’s Tbong Khmum district, tested positive on May 29, after returning from a religious school in the Thai southern province of Yala.
“The remaining two patients in the country are being treated at the Khmer Soviet Friendship Hospital.
“One is a Cambodian man infected with Covid-19 after returning from the Philippines and the other is a Cambodian-French man who returned from France,” the ministry said.
The recovered patient is a resident of Roka Por Bram Village in Roka Por Bram commune in Tbuong Khmum province’s Tbuong Khmum district.
The ministry announced on May 29 that he had been infected with Covid-19 after joining a religious service in Thailand and returning to Cambodia on May 28.
The man travelled on a bus from Thailand with nine other Cambodian men who were tested at the O’Bei Choan checkpoint.
The authorities held them to take their samples to be tested at Institut Pasteur du Cambodge and he tested positive. The other nine tested negative and were sent to quarantine centres in Banteay Meanchey province.
The ministry confirmed that most of the cases in the country were imported from abroad.
Late last month, the World Health Organisation confirmed that Cambodia has so far succeeded in preventing community infections. But the country has reported five clusters of major cases.
The first cluster had seven people infected with Covid-19 on the Viking Mekong cruise ship which travelled from Vietnam.
The second was when 34 people were infected after they travelled to join a Muslim religious gathering in Malaysia. Then, they passed on the virus to nine other people who came into direct contact with them.
The third cluster involved 31 French tourists in Preah Sihanouk province who passed the virus on to another eight people.
The fourth was imported from Thailand and passed it on to four others.
A fifth involved a Chinese man from Guangzhou who was infected and passed the virus on to another four.
The ministry on Monday expressed concern about infections in groups of people.
This, it said, could lead to a second wave of infections in Cambodia as it observed that some citizens went on excursions to other places in the Kingdom and neglected to take protective measures.
The ministry called on citizens to remain extremely vigilant. That means they have to wash hands with soap, alcohol or gel frequently and wear facemasks or scarves when sneezing or coughing.
It said people should also continue to maintain social distancing and delay organising weddings and religious services, and refrain from travelling abroad if it is not necessary.