Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Covid-19: Siem Reap town schools ordered closed



Covid-19: Siem Reap town schools ordered closed

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Prime Minister Hun Sen has ordered all schools in Siem Reap town to be immediately closed after a 38-year-old Cambodian man who came into contact with the Japanese Covid-19 victim was on Saturday confirmed positive for the disease. Hun Sen Facebook page

Covid-19: Siem Reap town schools ordered closed

Prime Minister Hun Sen has ordered all schools in Siem Reap town closed with immediate effect.

He also ordered the cancellation of the Angkor Sangkran festival planned in conjunction with Khmer New Year in mid-April.

This comes after Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng confirmed that a 38-year-old Cambodian man tested positive for Covid19.

The victim had direct contact with the 40-year-old Japanese man who had contracted the virus earlier this week.

Bun Heng said: “At 12:50pm on March 7, the Ministry of Health received confrmation from Institut Pasteur du Cambodge that a 38-year-old man who had direct contact with the 40-year-old Japanese man had tested positive for Covid19."

Three others, two women and a man have not contracted the coronavirus, he said.

"The Siem Reap provincial referral hospital is following up and giving the highest attention to the three others as well who are also in isolation for the next 14 days,” Bunheng said.

The ministry of health said the infected man is also being treated at the Siem Reap referral hospital.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said

  • More than 5K workers rush from Thailand amid outbreak

    Following the recent outbreak of Covid-19 in Thailand’s Samut Sakhon province, Cambodian migrants working in Thailand were gripped by worry over the situation and many rushed to return to their homeland. Over the past 10 days, more than 5,000 migrant workers have returned from Thailand through