Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - CPAF Attacks Khmer Rouge in Kompong Thom

CPAF Attacks Khmer Rouge in Kompong Thom

CPAF Attacks Khmer Rouge in Kompong Thom

BOH THOM, Kompong Thom Province-Three days after the U.N. announced that the State

of Cambodia (SOC) had launched a "coordinated military offensive" against

the Khmer Rouge in five provinces, the only significant engagement that could be

seen in this sleepy village 45 kilometers northwest of Kompong Thom city was a volleyball

match between mixed teams of Khmer Rouge soldiers and those loyal to Prince Ranariddh's

FUNCINPEC party.

However, the local sense of calm-in an area just 12 kilometers from the headquarters

of KR division 616-belied the fact that major fighting had taken place in Kompong

Thom province in the previous week involving more than 1,000 troops of the Cambodian

People's Armed Forces (CPAF) and an untold number of Khmer Rouge guerrillas.

"There was hand-to-hand fighting in Kandal Thmei this morning," said one

U.N. observer in Boh Thom on Feb. 4, referring to a village several kilometers to

the south. "But things seem to have quieted down now."

U.N. observers in Kompong Thom report that the CPAF offensive started on Jan. 27.

"CPAF and the Khmer Rouge had a major battle in the last few days," said

one observer on Feb. 3. "CPAF has advanced north and northwest in Kompong Thom

province, trying to regain lands lost since the Paris Peace Accords. They seem to

be well-equipped with a variety of artillery and small arms."

UNTAC reported that CPAF was using Soviet-made BM-14 and BM-21 multiple-rocket launchers

and that as many as 1,000 rounds of both rocket and artillery fire had been exchanged

between the two forces over a three-day period. The rocket launchers, known in military

parlance as "Stalin's organs," are capable of completely devastating a

square kilometer of territory in short order. One journalist familiar with the weapon's

capabilities said that "it was every soldier's worst nightmare to be on the

receiving end of those things."

"CPAF is using standard military tactics," the observer added. "They

start with an artillery barrage and then move in with ground troops. We don't know

their full objectives, but it would appear that they will succeed."

Colonel Nang Sar, CPAF's deputy military commander for Kompong Thom province accused

the U.N. of turning a blind eye to the situation leading up to the current military

engagements in the area. "When the Khmer Rouge attacked us no one said anything,

but now that we are retaliating UNTAC accuses us of cease-fire violations,"

Sar told the Post.

According to Col. Sar, since the signing of the Peace Accords the Khmer Rouge had

gained control of the villages of Damrei Slap, Nipech and Toul Kreul. "I want

to refer you to the article in the Paris Peace Accords that every faction must stay

in place," Col. Sar said, "but afterwards we have lost territory (to the

Khmer Rouge)."

Khmer Rouge Major Chhum Chea, commander of the 51st regiment, told journalists in

Boh Thom on Feb. 4 that, "In recent weeks we have been under attack by the Vietnamese

and Hun Sen. We hope that UNTAC can find justice for us."

Chea added that, "The three factions want UNTAC to expel the Vietnamese from

Cambodia and then there won't be war anymore. Maj. Chea then said that before the

Paris accords there were 2 million Vietnamese in Cambodia but since then more than

1.5 million had entered the country including an additional 150,000 Vietnamese soldiers."

He added, "I know the Vietnamese are here but I can't get close to them."

Khmer Rouge cadres in the village, whose world view has been limited by decades of

life in the jungle, echoed Maj. Chea's remarks. One soldier said, "I left my

family 20 years ago and have been fighting the Vietnamese for the last 13 years.

If we can expel the Vietnamese (from Cambodia) there will be peace and then I don't

care who will be president or King."

No exact figures on the number of casualties were available but three wards at the

Kompong Thom city hospital were practically overflowing with both CPAF soldiers and

civilians wounded in recent fighting. Of thirteen wound-ed soldiers in one ward,

five had lost legs.

Col. Sar said that four CPAF soldiers had been killed in the fighting and another

10 were wounded, although since he had just received the information he did not have

any details on where these casualties had taken place.

Hundreds of families were displaced by the fighting. On Route 6 near Phum Sankor,

25 kilometers west of Kompong Thom, the Indonesian battalion reported that more than

3,000 refugees were in need of assistance, having fled fighting around the village

of Kandal Thmei to the north. Another 150 civilians sought sanctuary in Popok after

CPAF shelled the Khmer Rouge-controlled town of Khvav in Siem Reap province, a day's

walk away. By Feb. 4 they had returned home.

UNTAC reports that major fighting seems to have levelled off and that "occasional

exchanges of artillery" are taking place sporadically. There are rumors that

the Khmer Rouge will initiate a counter-offensive sometime in mid-February.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM imposes nationwide Covid restrictions, curfew over Delta scare

    Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28 instructed the municipal and provincial authorities nationwide to strictly enforce Covid-19 measures including curfew for two weeks from July 29 midnight through August 12 to stem the new coronavirus Delta variant. The instruction came shortly after he issued a directive

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Provinces on Thai borders put in lockdown amid Delta fears

    The government has decided to place several border provinces in lockdown for two weeks in a bid to prevent the new coronavirus Delta variant spreading further into community. According a directive signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28, the provinces include Koh Kong,

  • Delta spreading in Kingdom

    Cambodia has so far detected more than 200 cases of the highly contagious coronavirus Delta variant, with 109 found on July 31 and August 1. The Ministry of Health has expressed deep concerns that the variant may have already reached communities and be spreading as some of the cases

  • US' Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccines arrive

    The first batch of 455,000 doses of the Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine donated by the US touched down in Phnom Penh on the morning of July 30. They are part of the total 1,060,100 doses the US has pledged to provide to Cambodia through the World Health Organisation-led (

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four