Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Credibility of Nuon Chea bodyguard attacked



Credibility of Nuon Chea bodyguard attacked

Credibility of Nuon Chea bodyguard attacked


The credibility of a witness who served as the former bodyguard of Brother No 2 Nuon Chea came under withering attack yesterday at the Khmer Rouge tribunal, as lawyers from all sides attempted to poke holes in his statements.

{jathumbnail}

Assistant co-prosecutor Dale Lysak seemingly tried to preempt such doubts about Saut Toeung’s reliability early on, explaining that when the former bodyguard was originally questioned by co-investigating judges in December 2007 he had denied being a bodyguard and had only admitted to the role two years later.

“I want to give you an opportunity to explain … why when you were first interviewed that you denied being the bodyguard of Nuon Chea. Can you explain why you did that?” Lysak asked.

“I was traumatised by the regime, and I didn’t want to face this event again,” Saut Toeung responded.

However, during cross-examination, Andrew Ianuzzi, legal consultant for the Nuon Chea defence team, revealed that Saut Toeung’s “change in testimony” had occurred after the co-investigating judges had told the former bodyguard he would not be incriminated by answers he gave.

Reading from the transcript of Saut Toeung’s testimony in December 2009, Ianuzzi recited: “‘The co-prosecutors wish to impress upon [Saut Toeung] that we have no intention of prosecuting him for anything he may have done during the Khmer Rouge era’.”

“The next bit is a statement by the co-investigating judge You Bunleng,” Ianuzzi continued, reading from the document. “‘We are explaining to you that you will not be prosecuted for events that occurred during Democratic Kampuchea.”

In each instance, however, Saut Toeung said he did not know about such statements or did not remember them.

Saut Toeung’s credibility was damaged during questioning earlier in the day by assistant prosecutor Dale Lysak and civil party lead co-lawyer Elisabeth Simonneau Fort, when he redacted statements he had previously made under oath to the co-investigating judges.

To contact the reporter on this story: Kristin Lynch at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Covid in Kingdom hits ‘critical point’

    The Covid-19 situation in Cambodia has reached a critical point, the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned, as cases surge with two more deaths and 265 infections reported over the weekend. On March 28 alone, the Ministry of Health recorded 86 Covid-19 cases linked to the February 20

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia set for large-scale vaccination campaign as Covid spreads

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed all provincial authorities to get ready for a large-scale vaccination campaign, with at least one million doses to be administered per month. “We will roll out at least one million doses. The vaccines we have purchased and received as

  • Covid-19 spreads in Kingdom, infects more children

    The Ministry of Health on March 28 reported another 86 Covid-19 cases linked to the February 20 community outbreak. Among them, two are Chinese and the rest are Cambodian. Preah Sihanouk province recorded the most cases at 43, followed by the capital at 25; three each in Tbong Khmum, Svay