Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Dam opposition takes complaint to Malaysia

Dam opposition takes complaint to Malaysia

Dam opposition takes complaint to Malaysia

Six environmental organisations opposing Laos' controversial Don Sahong hydropower dam yesterday took their complaints to a new level: The Human Rights Commission of Malaysia.

In a 23-page letter, the organisations from Cambodia, Thailand and the US collectively requested an investigation into the trans-boundary impacts of the 260-megawatt dam, which is being developed by Malaysian engineering firm Mega First Corporation Berhad.

"Unless the impacts on fish migrations are fully mitigated, and it is unclear if that is possible, the Don Sahong Dam can be expected to significantly reduce the number of migratory fish species that move between Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand," Ian Baird, an expert in Southeast Asian geography and ecology, said in a statement yesterday.

The Don Sahong, which would lie less than two kilometres north of Cambodia, is the second of nine dams Laos plans to erect on the Mekong mainstream.

The developer's assessment of the dam's environmental impacts have been criticised by the World Wildlife Organization, among others, for lacking scientific baseline studies and for not considering its combined effect with multiple dams on downstream communities.

The developer's team has countered by saying that ongoing scientific monitoring began in 2009 and will continue 10 years after construction finishes.

MOST VIEWED

  • Mysterious century-old structure found at bottom of Angkor pond

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) has discovered a mysterious 1,000-year-old structure of a wooden building at the bottom of a pond after the Angkor Wat temple’s conservation team completed restoring its northern cave. The deputy director at ANA’s Angkor International Research and Documentation

  • Stranded passengers petition UK for help

    Some 10,521 foreigners in Cambodia, the bulk being from the UK, have signed an online petition calling on British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and relevant officials to fly them out of the Kingdom. The petition is targeted at 15,000 foreigners. Among them are nearly 200 Europeans, the majority

  • Cellcard announces Cambodia’s first use of 5G to help Kingdom during Covid-19

    Cellcard on Friday announced Cambodia’s first use of 5G for a telemedicine service at four locations across Phnom Penh to help the Kingdom’s most critically ill during the Covid-19 outbreak. Cellcard, which is the only 100 per cent Cambodian-owned and "Proudly Khmer" mobile network

  • Health ministry warns against using virus-testing machines

    The Ministry of Health has threatened legal action against anyone who publicised their test results after using COVID-19 rapid testing machines. The ministry said such machines were not even approved or recognised for use by the World Health Organisation (WHO). It said test the results

  • Former CNRP activist nabbed for offering online English classes

    Authorities detained a high school teacher in Kampong Chhnang province on Thursday after he was caught conducting online classes despite the fact that schools had been ordered to close temporarily to prevent Covid-19 infections. Keo Thai teaches at Boribo High School in Kampong Chhnang and

  • National Assembly approves two coal-fired power plants

    The National Assembly (NA) unanimously approved draft laws paving the way for the construction of two coal-fired power plants worth $1.665 billion to supply 100 per cent of electricity required in the Kingdom by 2025. An NA member said at the session that the plants will be located