Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Dam report decried




Dam report decried

Dam report decried

111110_06
Construction equipment on a road leading to the site of a controversial proposed dam in Xayaburi province of Laos in April this year.

An environmental group has accused the Lao government of using a report prepared by a consulting firm to “greenwash” the proposed US$3.8 billion Xayaburi hydro-power dam on the Mekong River in a “desperate bid” to gain regional approval for the controversial project.

International Rivers said in a statement yesterday the report, prepared by Pöyry Energy AG - whose parent company is based in Finland - acknowledged uncertainties about the trans-boundary impact of the dam but nevertheless recommended that it be built.

The group said the report stated neighbouring countries’  concerns had been addressed.

“The Pöyry report sidesteps science and relies instead on guesswork, making it an unsuitable basis for decision-making on the Xayaburi Dam,” Ame Trandem, Southeast Asia program director for International Rivers, said in the statement.

Representatives from Pöyry Energy AG could not be reached for comment yesterday.

The Lao government comm-issioned the report in May after agreeing to delay the project following concerns raised by Cambodia, Thailand and Vietnam at an April meeting of the Mekong River Commission, a body established under a 1995 agreement that requires the four countries to consult on projects that could affect the river.

The three countries, along with environmentalists, have expressed concern about the dam’s potential impact on water levels and fish stocks in the Mekong Basin.

According to International Rivers’ statement, the report by Pöyry listed more than 40 scientific and technical studies that still needed to be completed and the group identified 15 MRC requirements the project did not comply with.

Daovong Phonekeo, deputy director of the department of electricity at the Lao Ministry of Energy and Mines, was unable to comment. Other officials could not be reached.

MRC communications offi-cer Surasak Glahan said by email the MRC was still reviewing Pöyry’s report.

Te Navuth, secretary-general of the Cambodia National Mekong Committee, said he had not yet received the report from the Lao government.

MOST VIEWED

  • School reopening to be postponed until November

    Minister of Education Hang Chuon Naron on Tuesday wrote to Prime Minister Hun Sen requesting a delay of school reopening across the Kingdom until November, when the new academic year begins. In his letter, Chuon Naron said the postponement is warranted to avoid the new

  • Foreigners in Kingdom must now register in FPCS system

    The Ministry of Interior’s General Department of Immigration (GDI) announced that it would not grant visa extensions to foreigners staying in Cambodia if their names are not listed on the Foreigners Present in Cambodia System (FPCS) by July 1. Foreign nationals can register in the

  • Covid-19 at ‘alarming rate’, health ministry says

    The Covid-19 risk level for individual transmission is at an “alarming rate” in the Kingdom and its probability is “not low”, warned Health Ministry spokesperson Or Vandine. “Cambodia’s coronavirus scenario is classified as being at an early stage of the pandemic because of ongoing

  • Mandatory quarantine for 30,000 workers begins

    Some of the roughly 30,000 workers from factories and enterprises across the Kingdom who went on leave during Khmer New Year began their government-imposed 14-day quarantine on Monday. Speaking at a press conference while visiting workers at the Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone on Monday, Ministry

  • Unemployed to get $40 per month

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training has instructed enterprises, business owners and travel agencies in five provinces to prepare the proper forms for the suspension of employment contracts. This, it said, will make it easier for the ministry to transfer $40 a month to workers

  • Gov’t travel ban flouted

    While the majority of Cambodians have paid heed to Prime Minister Hun Sen’s order to stay put and not travel during the Khmer New Year – the holidays of which were also postponed – several hundred have left Phnom Penh nonetheless. They have allegedly breached provincial

  • G20 energy ministers struggle to finalise oil output cuts

    Top oil producers struggled to finalise production cuts during a virtual summit held by Group of 20 (G20) energy ministers on Friday, despite US President Donald Trump’s mediation efforts to end a standoff with Mexico. The final G20 communique appeared to gloss over simmering divisions

  • Kingdom revises travel restriction order

    The government on Friday eased the district and provincial border restrictions issued on Thursday. People are now allowed to cross districts within their provinces. Phnom Penh and Kandal province are to be treated as a single region where people are allowed to travel freely. In

  • Private schools struggling

    The Cambodian Higher Education Association has claimed that 113 private educational establishments are facing bankruptcy because of their inability to pay rent and staff salaries in light of nationwide school closures caused by the Covid-19 outbreak. It said the financial trouble started when the Ministry of

  • Khmer New Year holidays postponed

    In an effort to halt Covid-19 infections in the Kingdom, Prime Minister Hun Sen has postponed the Khmer New Year holidays scheduled from April 13 to 16. While the people will not have their usual break, nor will there be any public celebrations or gatherings at pagodas,