Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Data shows decline in domestic violence

Data shows decline in domestic violence

Data shows decline in domestic violence

110915_5
Marion Bihler, a consultant for GIZ, speaks yesterday at a conference held in Phnom Penh about data collection and monitoring of violence against women in Cambodia.

Minister of Women’s Affairs Ing Kantha Phavi said yesterday that “remarkable” progress had been made in reducing rates of domestic violence in Cambodia, pointing to a report that found a 24 percent decline in the number of families experiencing domestic violence from 2006 to 2009. 

The 2010 Report on Data Collection and Monitoring of Violence Against Women in Cambodia, which was released yesterday, also found that the prevalence of violence against women had decreased by about 16 percent between 2000 and 2005.

Ing Kantha Phavi said, however, “that there is still a long way to go” to meet Cambodia’s Millennium Development Goal of reducing rates of gender-based violence, and acknowledged that the government’s data collection systems needed improvement.

“Especially when it comes to rape, our data collection systems still require advancements,” she said.

Marion Bihler, a consultant for German development agency GIZ, which helped fund the report, acknowledged that these decreased rates might appear to contradict some NGOs, like Adhoc, which have reported increased numbers of gender-based violence cases in recent years.

However, she said it is difficult to draw accurate conclusions from data based solely on reported cases because in many instances a higher incidence of reporting has more to do with increased levels of awareness, and not necessarily increased levels of violence.

Representatives from the ministries of planning, interior, health, justice and social affairs pledged to collaborate to create a comprehensive national data collection system that would make it easier to measure the effectiveness of the government’s efforts to reduce rates of violence against women.

Minister Ing Kantha Phavi said there was a need to improve services for victims of gender-based violence, calling for a “one-stop shop”.

“We have a lot of services, but the problem is that they are in different places, it is badly organised,” she said.

“So, we initiated this concept of the one-stop service centre where victims can find most of what they need in one place,  services,” she explained.

MOST VIEWED

  • Guards protest dismissals, reject claims of sharing naked photos of child

    Some 20 former security guards at the US Embassy in Phnom Penh protested on Tuesday against their dismissal. They accused their employers of falsely claiming they had viewed and shared child pornography from their mobile phones as grounds for their termination. In total, 32 personnel were dismissed

  • We’re going to Wisney World!

    More than 6,000 mostly Chinese attendees witnessed the inauguration ceremony of a $1 billion Sihanoukville resort project called Wisney World in the capital on Wednesday. The event on Koh Pich, attended by several senior Cambodian government officials, is a joint venture between China’s AMC International and

  • Funcinpec urges probe into deadly Preah Sihanouk accident

    THE Funcinpec party has urged the government, especially the Ministry of Interior, to investigate the traffic accident in Preah Sihanouk province which left Prince Norodom Ranariddh badly injured and his wife Ouk Phalla dead. Funcinpec Vice President You Hokry told reporters at Botum Votey pagoda,

  • Gov’t continues China tilt as ties with the US slide on ‘interference’ in Kingdom’s internal affairs

    CHINA has granted some $131 million in aid to the Cambodian military. It comes as yet another sign that the Kingdom is strengthening strategic ties with its Asian neighbour to counter increasingly cold relations with the United States. The aid was announced as part of a