Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - D&C Mall workers protest unpaid wages



D&C Mall workers protest unpaid wages

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
About 50 workers from the D&C Mall construction site on Street 313 in Tuol Kork district’s Boeung Kak II commune in Phnom Penh started protesting on Monday and are demanding three months of unpaid wages from the building’s owner. Hong Menea

D&C Mall workers protest unpaid wages

About 50 workers from the D&C Mall construction site on Street 313 in Tuol Kork district’s Boeung Kak II commune in Phnom Penh started protesting on Monday and are demanding three months of unpaid wages from the building’s owner.

The site’s worker supervisor Roeun Chan, who joined the protest, told The Post on Tuesday that workers had been patient until they protested because the owner kept postponing their payment and used the pandemic as an excuse.

Chan said: “For the past two months, we have continued to work even when hungry, believing the words of the owner, who claimed that Covid-19 had thrown the company into a financial crisis.

“The company said it would pay workers late but promised to pay soon. However, it has been three months that the owner has not given a single cent to the company or its workers.”

The D&C Mall is 90 per cent complete and projected to be ready within two or three months.

But work has stopped since the unpaid employees have decided to demand their wages, Chan said.

The workers said they would file complaints to local authorities and other related authorities requesting intervention on their behalf.

The workers’ representative Tri Ey Neang told The Post their wages ranged from $9 to $15 per day depending on their skill.

Employees who work overtime and on holidays receive double wages.

Ey Neang said: “Most workers are hungry now because the owner of the building did not pay the construction contractor as promised, so the contractor does not have money to pay the workers.

“Workers in all departments agreed not to work until there is a solution regarding their overdue salaries,” she said.

The workers started protesting on Monday and continued on Tuesday.

She said the workers need money soon to support their families during the Covid-19 pandemic.

Building site manager Te Bun Hour told The Post that the building owner did not respond to their request as yet.

District authorities advised the workers to file complaints to the district administration, and include the contract stating their daily wages as this will help solve the dispute.

Bun Hour said the workers also plan on filing a complaint with the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants