Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Deadline set for S-21 victims wanting to appear at Duch trial

Deadline set for S-21 victims wanting to appear at Duch trial

Deadline set for S-21 victims wanting to appear at Duch trial

The KRT makes its final call for victims in the lead-up to Tuol Sleng prison chief Duch's trial

VICTIMS of the Khmer Rouge's notorious Tuol Sleng prison centre have until February 2 to register as civil parties to the trial of prison chief Duch, the court announced Wednesday.

"Any person who has suffered harm as a result of the commission of any of these crimes should submit to the Victims Unit their Civil Party Application before [this date]," said a statement from the court's Victims Unit.

As the trial's February 17 start date approaches, the court has begun a final round of media calls, "actively encouraging" victims to come forward to be recognised by the court.

"We are preparing announcements in the coming days for radio and newspapers," said the court's public affairs officer,  Helen Jarvis.

As of last month, 28 people had been officially recognised as civil parties for the upcoming trial, with 70 more applications being processed, Jarvis said Tuesday.

She also said that nearly 3,000 people had filed complaints against the five former regime leaders currently held by the court.  

According to the internal rules of the court, civil party applications need to be filed at least 10 days before the initial hearing, and any new applications need to be reviewed before the start of the trial.

Deadline approaching

Michelle Staggs Kelsall, deputy director of the Asian International Justice Initiative at the East-West Centre, a court monitoring group, said she was concerned that an overburdened Victims Unit could struggle to process applications in time for the trial.

"The question really is whether all existing applications at 10 days before trial will likely have been reviewed by the initial hearing," she said.

But despite signs that the Victims Unit is overstretched, lawyers for civil parties have expressed confidence the unit will be able to process submissions in time.

"I have good hope that those applications that are submitted within the deadline will be processed," Silke Studzinsky, international lawyer for civil parties said Wednesday.

ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY ROBBIE COREY-BOULET

MOST VIEWED

  • Draft law on state of emergency pending finalisation

    Prime Minister Hun Sen will lead a top-level meeting on Tuesdays to review the draft law on imposing a state of emergency. Meantime, he has decided to close all casinos in Cambodia effective April 1. In the press conference after the National Assembly met today, Hun

  • State of emergency on table amid pandemic

    Prime Minister Hun Sen, his deputy prime ministers and legal team will meet on Tuesday to review the draft law on declaring a state of emergency, as Covid-19 cases rose to 107 in the Kingdom on Monday. Speaking at a press conference after a parliament meeting

  • Stranded passengers petition UK for help

    Some 10,521 people have signed an online petition calling on British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and relevant officials to fly nearly 200 passengers out of Cambodia. The petition is targeted at 15,000 people. Most of the passengers are British nationals, who are stranded in Cambodia after airlines cancelled

  • No word on state of emergency

    The National Assembly (NA) said it will postpone all unnecessary meetings in line with guidance from the Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) amid the Covid-19 pandemic. However, it did not say when or how it will debate the “state of emergency”

  • Many in limbo as tension heightens

    As the Kingdom restricts travel and prepares for a state of emergency, some foreigners in Cambodia are scrambling for a way home. Foreign embassies in Phnom Penh are making efforts to get their citizens out, but cancelled flights have become common due to the coronavirus

  • Covid-19 Pandemic: Force majeure and legal consequences

    Is the Covid-19 pandemic considered an event of force majeure? The World Health Organisation declared the novel coronavirus (Covid-19) outbreak a pandemic on March 11. Following this declaration, the Ministry of Health and other ministries have taken various legal and administrative measures to prevent the rapid