Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Deceased inmate died of ‘alcohol withdrawal’ in Banteay Meanchey prison



Deceased inmate died of ‘alcohol withdrawal’ in Banteay Meanchey prison

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The General Department of Prisons has blamed the custodial death of a 34-year-old inmate on Wednesday to alcohol withdrawal. Photo supplied

Deceased inmate died of ‘alcohol withdrawal’ in Banteay Meanchey prison

The Ministry of Interior’s General Department of Prisons on Wednesday blamed the custodial death of a 34-year-old inmate to alcohol withdrawal.

Its spokesman Nuth Savana said the deceased, Tuy Sros, had been charged with “intentional violence” against a landowner in Banteay Meanchey province’s O’Chrov district.

“The accused was issued a detention warrant on [the evening of] December 31, 2019 . . . After arriving at the prison, we noticed that [Sros] showed symptoms of [alcoholism].

“He had not eaten any rice during his two-day interrogation before being sent to prison by Banteay Meanchey officials,” he said, stressing that the deceased was under the supervision of provincial Military Police during his questioning.

Savana said provincial prison officials had prepared for Sros to be transferred to the prison by cutting his hair and assigning him a prison uniform when his wife visited.

“When his wife came to visit him, [Tuy Sros] appeared to be unwell and asked his wife for some wine. She requested the prison officials to allow her husband to drink wine because he was heavily addicted to it and had not eaten for two days. He then fell and was found to have fainted.

“[The prison officials] supplied him with oxygen and sent him to the provincial referral hospital. He died while on the way there,” Savana said.

Sros was among five people accused in a land dispute case.

Banteay Meanchey governor Um Reatrey told The Post he could not comment on the case as he was busy.

However, provincial Adhoc coordinator Sum Chankea said villagers who were aware of Sros’ plight confirmed he would often drink excessively, adding that “prison officials must be responsible and should have checked his condition before incarcerating him”.

“We are still investigating this case because a person died and the State’s officials are responsible for all detainees,” he said.

The Post was unable to reach Sros’ widow and provincial Military Police officials for comment.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting