Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Decision delayed at tribunal



Decision delayed at tribunal

Khmer Rouge tribunal International Co-Prosecutor Nicholas Koumjian (right) and his deputy, William Smith, during closing statements in Case 002/02 on last week at the ECCC. ECCC
Khmer Rouge tribunal International Co-Prosecutor Nicholas Koumjian (right) and his deputy, William Smith, during closing statements in Case 002/02 on last week at the ECCC. ECCC

Decision delayed at tribunal

The Khmer Rouge tribunal’s co-investigating judges have delayed their decision on whether to throw out cases 003 and 004, which had been expected by the end of the month, according to a “clarification” issued by the court yesterday.

The Post revealed in May the co-investigating judges were considering dismissing the cases due to “a lack of funding”. The report sparked public outcry and renewed fears of political interference in the cases long opposed by Prime Minister Hun Sen.

Case 003 against former naval commander Meas Muth, case 004 against mid-level commander Yim Tith and Case 004/02 against Ao An, a zone secretary, are the last remaining at the tribunal, which began its operations in 2006.

Hayat Abu-Saleh, a spokesperson at the court, said no new date has been set for the decision and denied public criticism had contributed to the delay.

Co-Investigating Judge Michael Bohlander declined to comment on whether political interference was a factor in the original decision to consider dismissing the cases.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • PM asks India for vaccine help

    Prime Minister Hun Sen is seeking assistance from India for the provision of Covid-19 vaccines as the country has produced its own vaccine which is scheduled to be rolled out to more than 300 million Indians this year. The request was made during his meeting with

  • One million Chinese Covid-19 jabs to start rolling in from February

    The government has confirmed that Covid-19 vaccines from China are set to begin arriving in Cambodia by February. This came as the Ministry of Health recorded two imported cases of Covid-19 on January 18. While calling on people to remain vigilant against the pandemic, ministry spokeswoman