Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Decision on RFA journalists’ detention appeal postponed until April

Decision on RFA journalists’ detention appeal postponed until April

Former RFA journalist Yeang Sothearin was transported in a prison van earlier this month. He and fellow former reporter Oun Chhin have challenged the circumstances of their detention, claiming they were improperly held for more than 48 hours in police custody.
Former RFA journalist Yeang Sothearin was transported in a prison van earlier this month. He and fellow former reporter Oun Chhin have challenged the circumstances of their detention, claiming they were improperly held for more than 48 hours in police custody. Heng Chivoan

Decision on RFA journalists’ detention appeal postponed until April

Cambodia’s Appeal Court on Tuesday postponed a decision on the legality of the detention procedures used against two former Radio Free Asia journalists arrested for “espionage”.

Yeang Sothearin, 35, and Oun Chhin, 49, were arrested on November 14 on suspicion of reporting to RFA, the US-funded news organisation that shuttered its in-country operations last year amid a broader crackdown on press freedom.

Sothearin and Chhin were charged four days later, an apparent violation of Cambodian law that states that a person cannot be held in police custody without charge for more than 48 hours.

When a felony is involved, police detention can be extended to a maximum of 72 hours with the written permission of a prosecutor.

Sothearin and Chhin were charged with providing “a foreign state with information which undermines national defence”, which carries a prison sentence of seven to 15 years.

The pair’s lawyer, Keo Vanny, said the prolonged detention was illegal. He has sought to invalidate the detention procedure at the police station, claiming police had not sought proper permission.

“If police want to detain them [for a time] exceeding more than 48 hours, they can only do so on agreement of prosecutor,” Vanny said.

It remains unclear as to when exactly the two were sent from police custody to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court.

Presiding Judge Sin Visal heard the arguments on Tuesday but postponed a decision until April 4.

Sothearin’s brother, Yeang Vina, 44, said the pair should be released unless some real evidence was unearthed.

“They still don’t find evidence to accuse my brother and Oun Chhin," he said. "There is no real evidence against them.”

No trial date has been scheduled.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hundreds of children in hospital with dengue

    A serious dengue fever epidemic is affecting Cambodia, with nearly 600 children hospitalised in the five Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals on Monday alone, a statement posted on the Kantha Bopha Foundation’s official Facebook page said on Wednesday. Because Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals provide

  • Sihanoukville building collapse death toll rises to 19

    Minister of Interior Sar Kheng said on Sunday that the government will act against those responsible for the collapse of a seven-storey building in Sihanoukville on Saturday, which resulted in 19 dead and 24 injured as of Sunday evening. Sar Kheng said three Chinese nationals and one

  • Gov’t to probe Chinese exports to US via Sihanoukville

    The government is investigating allegations that Chinese companies are using Chinese-owned special economic zones in Cambodia to export goods to the US and avoid tariffs, said Ministry of Commerce spokesman Seang Thay. The move comes after US embassy spokesman Arend Zwartjes said the US had

  • Banh: The Khmer Rouge worse than sanctions and pressure

    Minister of National Defence Tea Banh said on Thursday that having sanctions and external pressure placed on Cambodia was not worse than life under the brutal Khmer Rouge regime. Tea Banh, who is also deputy prime minister, was speaking to military and ruling party officials