Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Defamation claim dismissed

Defamation claim dismissed

Defamation claim dismissed

120217_06

Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday dropped two complaints against prominent media personality Soy Sopheap, who was accused by Nokorwat newspaper general director Touch Kongkea of defaming him and breaching his privacy by accessing his personal emails.

Pha Lina/Phnom Penh Post
Media personality Soy Sopheap (centre) shakes hands with a police officer in May last year.

Kor Vandy, municipal court vice president and judge, said the complaints were dropped because no real evidence was brought before the court.

“There is no proof to express that Soy Sopheap stole secret correspondent letters via the emails of Touch Kongkea as accused,” Kor Vandy said.

In April last year, Touch Kongkea accused Soy Sopheap, a high-profile TV pundit and operator of popular news website Deum Ampil Media Centre, of accessing private emails between himself and Lim Bunheng, president and CEO of rice milling company Loran Import-Export Co Ltd.

The Post has previously reported that Soy Sopheap sent a letter, obtained by the Post, to Prime Minister Hun Sen claiming that the emails between Touch Kongkea and Lim Bunheng referenced a plan to transfer control of an FM radio station operated by Soy Sopheap to a Royal Cambodian Armed Forces official.

Soy Sopheap said yesterday that the “sky is clear and justice has prevailed”.

“I accept Phnom Penh Municipal Court’s decision with my highest respects. I think that the court’s decision was justice for me, and it was made with perfection and common sense,” he said.

“It has clearly shown the public that I am a pure and trusted person,” Soy Sopheap added.

“I have never done any bad things which affected the honour and the good relations between the Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Cambodia and myself.”

Touch Kongkea could not be reached for comment yesterday.

However, his lawyer Chan Vicheth said that he had not yet received the court’s decision, and was therefore unable to comment further.

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh

  • NOCC to contest petanque, tennis axe

    The National Olympic Committee of Cambodia will lobby hard over the next few weeks for the inclusion of the Kingdom’s most productive medal-earning sport, petanque, along with vovinam and tennis after the disciplines were left out of the initial list of 30 preferred sports for