Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Deminer killed in explosion



Deminer killed in explosion

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A deminer was taken into emergency treatment after an accident during deming. Photo supplied.

Deminer killed in explosion

One employee of the British demining organisation Halo Trust died and another was injured after an antipersonnel mine exploded while they were working in Pailin province on Friday, the organisation confirmed.

Loeung Reaksmey, 54, died immediately after a Russian-made PMN2 antipersonnel mine exploded as he and his assistant were attempting to remove it from the ground, said Keo Pov, a Cambodian Mine Action Centre (CMAC) official in Pailin province. His technical assistant, Ngun Thany, 28, was seriously injured and sent via helicopter to a hospital in Battambang province.

“Thany was injured on her face and body, but the doctor at the emergency hospital successfully operated [on her] and rescued her life,” Pov said.

Halo representatives said Reaksmey was an experienced deminer who had been working with the organisation since 2003.

“His recent work at Ba Huy, a small village on the border with Thailand, was equally important, with himself and his colleagues having cleared 1,458 landmines from 28 minefields surrounding the community,” Halo said in a statement. “Initial findings indicate that Mr Reaksmey and his colleague were preparing a lane ahead of clearance and initiated an anti-personnel mine.”

Chea Chandin, Pailin provincial police chief, said this was the first time a Halo employee died in the province. “In the past, some people were injured and died because of mines while they were foraging, ploughing rice fields, or hunting wild animals along the Cambodia-Thailand border,” he noted.

On Saturday, Cambodian Red Cross agents visited the hospital and offered Thany food and monetary assistance, he added.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and