Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Deminers dig out 38 UXO in Battambang



Deminers dig out 38 UXO in Battambang

Authorities yesterday posed for a photo with a UXO discovered in late February in Battambang province. Photo supplied
Authorities yesterday posed for a photo with a UXO discovered in late February in Battambang province. Photo supplied

Deminers dig out 38 UXO in Battambang

Authorities have recovered some 38 pieces of unexploded ordnance (UXO) from the site of a former government military base in Battambang province, police said yesterday.

Five of the Russian-made UXO were detected in Bakprea village, in Prey Chas commune, on February 24, according to Ek Phnom district police chief Long Yutheavireak.

After being alerted to the presence of the explosives, police officers were deployed to monitor the site and set up signs warning locals of mine danger while experts cleared the area up through Tuesday.

“We worked with officials from the Cambodian Mine Action Centre [CMAC] in searching the site and we found 38 different unexploded ordnance,” Yutheavireak said.

Yutheavireak’s deputy, Suon Sameth, said that the haul of mortar shells, land mines and hand grenades had been used by Vietnamese-backed government troops during the 1980s, and that the area was a front line in the battle against Khmer Rouge soldiers.

CMAC official Pring Panharith said he had not yet received a final report confirming how many UXO had been found, but said some 15,000 were collected from Battambang province last year alone.

According to government figures, Battambang had the highest number of mine casualties for the Kingdom in both 2014 and 2015 – for a combined total of 68 killed or injured – more than double that of neighbouring Pailin, which had the next-highest rate.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said