Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Dengue death toll hits 25



Dengue death toll hits 25

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The Ministry of Health has said the number of people diagnosed with dengue fever this year has reached 21,130, with 25 people – all of them children – dying from the disease. Hong Menea

Dengue death toll hits 25

The Ministry of Health is pressing ahead with its campaign to wipe out the Aedes aegypti, mosquitoes and educate people to be careful about their health, as there has been little decline in dengue fever diagnoses since January in nine provinces.

The ministry said the number of people diagnosed with dengue fever this year had reached 21,130, with 25 people – all of them children – dying from the tropical disease.

Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine told The Post on Wednesday that the number of dengue fever cases had stabilised in the nine provinces – Kampong Speu, Kampot, Kandal, Kep, Kratie, Mondulkiri, Preah Vihear, Prey Veng and Siem Reap – but sometimes there was a spike.

She said the ministry needed more time to take further action, including applying the insecticide Abate to treat standing water infested with mosquito larvae and educating local people to drain or remove all containers or pools of standing water, including roof gutters, old tyres and litter.

“We have not calculated exactly but we’ve looked at the figures and graphs."

“In some provinces, instances of dengue fever had decreased significantly, but some provinces have only seen a moderate decline. We cannot provide numbers in percentages because we are still monitoring the situation."

“First of all, everyone must participate in eliminating Aedes mosquitoes [among which is the Aedes aegypti], then we can stop the disease. Secondly, we must be very careful. If children develop a high fever, they should quickly be taken for a check-up at a public health centre or hospital that has medical expertise in treating dengue fever."

“It is not enough to take patients to private health centres which have no expertise,” Vandine said.

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The Ministry of Health has said the number of people diagnosed with dengue fever this year has reached 21,130, with 25 people – all of them children – dying from the disease. Hong Menea

She said the dengue fever outbreak this year had affected both adults and children. This is a change from the outbreaks in 2007 and 2012 that largely only affected children.

But she said the ministry could not confirm precisely how many dengue fever patients this year were adults and how many were children.

Ly Sovann, director of the ministry’s Communicable Disease Control Department, attended a workshop on preventing dengue fever on Wednesday.

He said that if anyone, especially children, has a temperature above 38.5 degrees Celsius and their temperature does not go down after taking medicine for two days, they should be taken to hospital to test for dengue fever to avoid the disease becoming life-threatening.

“The government has expanded the number of medical facilities, so now there is a health centre or check-up facility close to home."

“People don’t have to travel far like they used to do. I would also like to ask villagers to stop prescribing their own medicine, and instead consult with proper doctors at health centres,” he said.

Sovann said the Ministry of Health had assigned a special task force to provide training to medical staff in the provinces on the proper treatment for dengue fever.

More than 1,000 officials have received training so far, he said, and that should be enough to provide treatment even as more people are diagnosed with dengue fever.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants