Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Dengue infections, deaths way down: gov’t

Dengue infections, deaths way down: gov’t

A woman with a mosquito painted on her face attends the dengue awareness campaign United Fight Against Dengue held earlier this month at a school in Phnom Penh.
A woman with a mosquito painted on her face attends the dengue awareness campaign United Fight Against Dengue held earlier this month at a school in Phnom Penh. Tang Chhin Sothy/AFP

Dengue infections, deaths way down: gov’t

The number of recorded dengue fever infections in Cambodia dropped dramatically in the first half of 2017 when compared to the same period the year before, a health official has said, with deaths due to the virus also dropping.

The number of dengue infections in the first 24 weeks of the year dropped to 1,133, compared to the 2,447 in the same period in 2016, according to a statement on the website of the National Centre for Parasitology Entomology and Malaria Control from director Huy Rekol.

Spikes and falls of dengue rates tend to follow a predictable cycle, with 2015 and 2016 experiencing higher-than-usual rates.

Rekol declined to comment further but was quoted as saying that the centre was preparing to hand out 5,000 litres of mosquito repellent and 350 tonnes of larvicide to highly affected areas such as Phnom Penh, Kandal, Siem Reap and Koh Kong provinces.

It would also hand out about 50,000 packets of “serum” drips to help treat the infected, but it did not say how the products would be distributed. Those most at risk of infections were aged 5 to 9, the centre said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • VIP prison scrapped amid much criticism

    The Ministry of Interior announced on Thursday that Cambodia’s first privately run prison, which was to allow prisoners with enough money to upgrade to more comfortable cells, has been scrapped. Ministry spokesman Khieu Sopheak said studies had found that no other country in the