Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Despite ban, timber exports to Vietnam nearing 2016 total



Despite ban, timber exports to Vietnam nearing 2016 total

Authorities inspect a timber truck destined for Vietnam in Ratanakkiri in May. Timber exports to Vietnam in the first six months of the year have nearly exceeded the total amount for all of last year. Photo supplied
Authorities inspect a timber truck destined for Vietnam in Ratanakkiri in May. Timber exports to Vietnam in the first six months of the year have nearly exceeded the total amount for all of last year. Photo supplied

Despite ban, timber exports to Vietnam nearing 2016 total

Cambodian timber exports to Vietnam over the first six months of the year have almost surpassed the total amount for all of last year, according to Vietnamese customs data, despite an existing ban on the trade – which one analyst said had “entirely failed” in light of the continuing multimillion-dollar trade.

The data, obtained and released by US-based NGO Forest Trends, show a massive 313,000 cubic metres of Cambodian timber – valued at $142 million – was registered by Vietnamese customs between January and June, including both sawn wood and raw logs.

By comparison, Vietnamese customs data show total timber imports for all of 2016 were 318,232 cubic metres – despite a “crackdown” by an anti-logging task force and ban of exports to Vietnam announced in January of that year.

The director of Cambodia’s General Department of Customs and Excise, Kun Nhem, was unreachable yesterday to verify the figures with Cambodian records. Presented with the new customs data figures yesterday, Minister of Environment Say Sam Al declined to comment unless given the official Vietnamese customs reports.

Timber exports to Vietnam.

The bulk of the 2017 exports crossed the border during the first three months of the year, a surge that has been attributed to a “systematic” logging operation backed by Vietnamese traders.

That frenetic logging, according to a report by the Environmental Investigation Agency, decimated swathes of forest in Ratanakkiri province and was allegedly facilitated by huge payments to officials on both sides of the border.
Following the EIA report’s release in May, Sam Al said an investigation into the role of local authorities in the operation was underway.

However, no further details about suspects have emerged.

Broken down, the new data show Vietnamese customs authorities received about 170,000 cubic metres of sawn timber and 143,000 cubic metres of raw logs between January and June, valued at $110 million and $31 million respectively.

By comparison, Vietnam imported 139,000 cubic metres of logs and 179,000 cubic metres of sawn wood in 2016, according to customs data also compiled by Forest Trends.

Reached yesterday, long-time anti-logging activist Marcus Hardtke said following the “temporary dent” in exports after the crackdown, the trade had “bounced back”.

“The 2016/17 dry season saw a huge spike in illegal exports to Vietnam, the new customs data from 2017 once again confirm the findings of the EIA investigation,” he wrote via email.

Phuc Xuan To, an analyst with Forest Trends, also said the Cambodian government’s announcement of its export ban had made little impact on the trade.

“These figures clearly show that ‘export ban’ entirely failed,” he said.

Additional reporting by Chhay Channyda

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants