Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Details scant for warrants issued in logging crackdown

Details scant for warrants issued in logging crackdown

Two motorbikes stacked with luxury wood stand on the side of National Road 7 in Stung Treng on Friday after they were stopped by authorities. Adhoc
Two motorbikes stacked with luxury wood stand on the side of National Road 7 in Stung Treng on Friday after they were stopped by authorities. Adhoc

Details scant for warrants issued in logging crackdown

The recently formed anti-illegal logging committee has issued 10 warrants against alleged illegal timber traders since it began its crackdown in January, officials have confirmed, although the details of those accused and the charges they face remain under wraps.

The committee’s spokesperson Eng Hy said yesterday that since the group began scouring Cambodia’s eastern provinces in January, the Tbong Khmum and Mondulkiri provincial courts have issued 10 warrants for the arrest of people connected to illegal logging, but he declined to go into detail on the cases.

“The expert committee has prepared some lawsuits in some provinces in which the crackdown operation has been launched, and some of those have reached the prosecutor already,” he said, adding that some suspects were company managers, but declining to go into further details.

Hy said that the committee was still assessing the legal status of tens of thousands of cubic metres of seized wood and there would be more warrants to follow. Although he added that authorities had lacked the equipment to control forest fires that they say had made their way onto several economic land concessions and destroyed potential evidence.

Heang Sopheak, a prosecutor at the Tbong Khmum Provincial Court, confirmed that warrants had been issued, but declined to provide any details, instead referring questions back to the illegal logging committee.

Rights groups and community forest representatives have welcomed the efforts of anti-illegal logging committee since it was established at the behest of Prime Minister Hun Sen on January 14, but have repeatedly called for transparency in its activities.

Em Sopheak, a program officer for the Community Legal Education Center, reiterated that stance yesterday, saying that it was positive to hear that warrants had been issued by the committee, but questioning the timeliness of the charges and the lack of detail in their investigations.

“It is just one step that the committee has filed a complaint to the court, but we are afraid that those suspects will be called to testify, but there will be no real punishment for them,” he said.

Sok Ratha, Mondulkiri provincial coordinator for rights group Adhoc, said that authorities had not released all the information they could have relating to the raids.

“Maybe the committee needs [more time] to investigate more people the behind the timber traders,” he said, when asked about the limited release of information.

In a separate case in Stung Treng last week, villagers set alight 30 planks of wood they were carrying on the back of their motorbikes after being stopped by forestry officials.

According to Chhuok Komal, Stung Treng town police chief, forestry officials stopped two villagers on motorbikes carrying the wood and dumped the load on the side of the road.

When the authorities left to get a vehicle to transport the haul, the villagers doused the planks in gasoline and set it on fire, before fleeing the scene, he said.

“The officers arrested them to educate them, so that they stop the illegal transport [of wood], but they burned it themselves,” Komal said.

Meanwhile, forestry officials have been accused of failing to intercept two trucks loaded with over 10 cubic metres of protected timber from Phnom Oral Wildlife Sanctuary after being alerted to their presence by a forestry NGO in Kampong Speu on Saturday night.

Chea Hean, director of the Natural Resource and Wildlife Preservation Organization, said his NGO had been tracking the wood for some time, and when the tucks left on Saturday he alerted both the provincial and national environmental authorities, who said that they would intervene.

However, Hean said he followed the trucks to Takeo province on their way to Vietnam through multiple checkpoints and authorities failed to act.

Neither provincial nor national environmental authorities could be reached for comment yesterday, while Oral Wildlife Sanctuary deputy director Soeng Bunhen hung up on a reporter.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM to vet NY holiday dates

    The Ministry of Economy and Finance submitted a letter to Prime Minister Hun Sen asking him to formally set a five-day national holiday from August 17-21 to make up for the Khmer New Year holiday in April that was postponed. Finance minister Aun Pornmoniroth sent

  • Cambodia rejects UN rights claim

    Cambodia's Permanent Mission to the UN Office in Geneva on Friday hit back at David Kaye, the UN special rapporteur on the Promotion and Protection of the Right to Freedom of Opinion and Expression after he raised concerns over the repression of free speech and

  • Snaring may spawn diseases

    The World Wildlife Fund (WWF) has warned that snaring of animals has become a crisis that poses a serious risk to wildlife in Southeast Asia and could spawn the transmission of zoonotic diseases to humans. Its July 9 report entitled Silence of the Snares: Southeast Asia’

  • Ex-party leader, gov’t critic named as secretary of state

    A former political party leader known for being critical of the government has been appointed secretary of state at the Ministry of Rural Development, a royal decree dated July 9 said. Sourn Serey Ratha, the former president of the Khmer Power Party (KPP), told The Post

  • Residence cards set for over 80,000 immigrants

    The Ministry of Interior plans to grant residence cards to more than 80,000 immigrants to better keep track of them. The ministry announced the plan on July 10, following the results of an immigration census. “An inter-ministerial committee and many operational working groups have been set up

  • Kingdom produces PPE gear

    Medical supplies from Cambodia have been donated to member countries of the Asian Development Bank (ADB) to assist in the fight against Covid-19, said an ADB report published on July 9. The report stated that the supplies were donated as a response to global efforts to

  • Kingdom, US vow stronger ties

    At an academic forum on Saturday to celebrate 70 years of Cambodia-US diplomatic ties, Cambodian researchers and officials expressed hope of encouraging US investments and for that country to deepen and improve its bilateral relations. Held at the Royal Academy of Cambodia, it reviewed the past 70

  • Fifteen Cambodians from Saudi get Covid-19

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday confirmed 15 more imported cases of Covid. The 15 men ‒ all Cambodian aged 21 to 33 ‒ arrived from Saudi Arabia on Friday via a connecting flight in Malaysia. They were travelling with 79 other passengers, three of them women. The ministry said 80 of the

  • Ministry requests school opening

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport on Thursday said it would request a decision from Prime Minister Hun Sen to allow a small number of schools to reopen next month. Ministry spokesman Ros Soveacha said if the request is granted, higher-standard schools will reopen

  • Kingdom eyes India FTA, China deal set for August

    Cambodia is studying the possibility of establishing a bilateral free trade agreement (FTA) with India to open a new market with the second-largest regional economy. This comes as an FTA with China is scheduled to be signed next month while similar negotiations with South Korea