Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - DEY project to 'brighten' youths’ future




DEY project to 'brighten' youths’ future

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The joint programme aims to provide employment opportunities to youths who have suffered during the pandemic. Hean Rangsey

DEY project to 'brighten' youths’ future

A signing ceremony for a joint programme entitled Decent Employment for Youth in Cambodia (DEY) was held between the UN in Cambodia and the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) on Monday to enact phase two of the four-year $4 million programme.

The ceremony was presided over by Minister of Labour and Vocational Training Ith Sam Heng.

DEY was first launched in September 2017 and its first phase concluded in December last year.

Hok Sovanvotey, who represents the youths receiving support from the project, said that in the face of Covid-19, some have been discouraged because their daily lives have been impacted.

She said this is a difficult time, especially for migrant workers who previously relied on working abroad.

“Thousands of people have been left jobless with no social services to fall back on. The situation in Cambodia has some positives thanks to the efforts to disseminate the right information. I hope that many youths will benefit from this project,” Sovanvotey said.

The UN in Cambodia said in a press release on Monday that the second phase of the programme technically started in January under the guidance and leadership of the UN resident coordinator’s office.

In cooperation with the government, social partners, employers and workers organisations, phase two delivers key interventions in response to Covid-19 in the areas of employment, training and income improvement.

“Benefiting from the renewed strategic and financial support of $4 million from the SDC, this second phase will continue to expand the successful initiatives from phase one.

“It will assist young women and men in obtaining better and more productive employment opportunities,” the UN press release said.

Sam Heng said at the ceremony: “The continuation of the $4 million project will help youths find better job opportunities from 2020 to 2023.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as