Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Disgraced former police chief Heng Pov appeals conviction before Supreme Court




Disgraced former police chief Heng Pov appeals conviction before Supreme Court

Former Phnom Penh Police Chief Heng Pov escorted into Supreme Court yesterday in Phnom Penh.
Former Phnom Penh Police Chief Heng Pov escorted into Supreme Court yesterday in Phnom Penh. Pha Lina

Disgraced former police chief Heng Pov appeals conviction before Supreme Court

The Supreme Court today heard arguments in the appeal of an attempted murder case against disgraced former Phnom Penh Police Chief Heng Pov, who was found guilty of the charge and sentenced to 18 years in prison in 2008.

Pov holds numerous convictions and has been sentenced to a total of 103 years in prison. Yesterday’s appeal was related to the attempted murder of an Electricité du Cambodge worker, Kem Daravuth, in 2005. Previously, the municipal court convicted Pov of ordering the murder of Daravuth, who was shot in the neck and left paralyzed, after the electricity worker cut off the former commander’s power following a series unpaid bills.

Yesterday, Daravuth urged the court to uphold the sentence against Pov, who was at one point a personal security adviser to Prime Minister Hun Sen.

“I've lived with a disability for 12 years already,” Daravuth told the judges yesterday. “I hope that the court will seek justice for me.”

Pov has frequently denied the state’s many accusations of theft and murder, and yesterday maintained his innocence, saying the matter was really about his investigation of a casino that had defrauded the state electricity provider. His defence lawyer, Nou Chantha, said the government’s case lacked evidence and relied on the testimony of Daravuth’s two daughters, who only saw a helmeted man they could not identify shoot their father.

A verdict in the case will be announced on December 6, according to Judge Kem Sathavy.

MOST VIEWED

  • First Khmer woman to pass out of West Point

    The life of a soldier certainly isn’t for everyone. The training is gruelling, the hours long and there’s no room for excuses. On top of that, soldiers must be ready to respond to sudden threats at a moment’s notice. Just ask Sithyka

  • Tourists urged not to skip trip

    The Ministry of Tourism has called on international tourists not to cancel trips to Cambodia, but urged them to adhere to several dos and don’ts when arriving in the Kingdom during the Covid-19 pandemic. The ministry released an eight-point instruction manual on Wednesday published

  • The taxman cometh – Cambodia’s capital gains tax casts the net on individual taxpayers

    In a country where only limited personal income tax existed, the new taxation law beginning January 1, 2021, will make taxpayers out of Cambodians, whether they are ready for it or not About two years ago, a little known amendment was made to Article 7 of the Law

  • Cambodian-American gets Star Trek treatment

    Kevin Ung, a Cambodian-American whose family escaped genocide during the Khmer Rouge’s reign of terror, was recently selected from thousands of applicants to participate in the Television Academy Foundation’s inaugural 2020 Star Trek Command Training Programme, a course intended to give hands-on filmmaking experience

  • Cambodia seeks to be transport hub

    Cambodia is working on several fronts to modernise its transport infrastructure and services, concentrating on opening new international gates to relieve and balance traffic congestion at its borders, Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol said on Thursday. This is part of the Kingdom’

  • Deminers unearth ancient lion statue

    Cambodia Mine Action Centre (CMAC) director-general Heng Ratana told The Post on Tuesday that a statue of a lion was found by mine clearance experts while they were digging for a development project. It was sent to the Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts last