Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Disgraced monk held on charges of sex abuse



Disgraced monk held on charges of sex abuse

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A former acting pagoda chief monk was arrested on January 11 for allegedly having sexual intercourse with four minors in December. Police

Disgraced monk held on charges of sex abuse

Kampong Chhnang Provincial Court Investigating Judge Phy Daro has placed a former acting pagoda chief monk in pre-trial detention for allegedly having sexual intercourse with four minors in December.

Provincial court spokesperson Hong Kim Hak identified the former monk as Orn Chhai Rak, 28.

“Chhai Rak has been charged under Article 42 of the Law on Suppression of Human Trafficki ng and Sexual Exploitation,” he said.

Chhai Rak faces between five and 10 years in prison if found guilty.

On January 13, the Kampong Chhnang provincial court prosecutor questioned Chhai Rak after he was arrested on January 11 in Svay Rieng province’s Chantrea district for molesting four novice monks and sodomised them in December last year at Angserey Sovann Pagoda in Rolea Ba’ier commune of Kampong Chhnang province’s Rolea Ba’ier district. The novice monks were aged between 13 and 17.

Srey Soda, head of the Kampong Chhnang provincial police’s Anti-Human Trafficking and Juvenile Protection Bureau, said Chhai Rak is a native of Phsar Kandal commune’s Tuol Pongro village in Banteay Meanchey province’s Poipet town

Soda said the court had ordered the accused to appear for questioning on January 21 over complaints filed by parents of the novice monks. He said Chhai Rak had initially fled to his home province of Banteay Meanchey before moving to a pagoda in Svay Rieng province, where he was defrocked and arrested.

“We did not question the suspect [Chhai Rak] at length because I arrested him on the court’s warrant,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said

  • More than 5K workers rush from Thailand amid outbreak

    Following the recent outbreak of Covid-19 in Thailand’s Samut Sakhon province, Cambodian migrants working in Thailand were gripped by worry over the situation and many rushed to return to their homeland. Over the past 10 days, more than 5,000 migrant workers have returned from Thailand through