Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Dispute with tycoon was settled by the court, Land Ministry says



Dispute with tycoon was settled by the court, Land Ministry says

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Villagers protested in front of Land Ministry last week. Hong Menea

Dispute with tycoon was settled by the court, Land Ministry says

The Ministry of Land Management on Monday said it cannot help the 292 families involved in a land dispute with Oknha Sieng Chan Heng’s Heng Aphivath Company in Kandal province’s Kandal Stung district, because a court verdict has already found the land to be the rightful property of the company.

A letter from the ministry, dated June 25, said: “The Land Ministry will not [help the families] based on a decision on April 22, 2008, by Huot Vuthy, Kandal provincial prosecutor.”

Amid the row, in April 2008, Kandal Provincial Court investigated the dispute and found the land to rightfully belong to the Heng Aphivath Company, with the verdict also stating that none of the villagers had land titles.

Y Vanny, a representative of the villagers, said the ministry’s decision was unjust and they would continue to seek a solution.

“I do not know what to do anymore . . . We will discuss this further. This decision makes us very disappointed,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants