Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - District governor downs claims of child arrest

District governor downs claims of child arrest

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Villagers assemble in the capital after they claimed a 10-year-old boy was detained by police earlier this week. fresh news

District governor downs claims of child arrest

Russey Keo district governor Chea Pisey on Wednesday denied claims that an underage boy was detained without cause earlier this week.

He also denied that Military Police destroyed the home of Meas Savoeun, an undersecretary at the Ministry of Justice.

However, witnesses in the area claimed Pisey was just covering up the truth of the incidents.

At a press conference, Pisey said the destruction case was, in fact, started by Savoeun, who was using a tractor to break a wall on his neighbour’s property to complete a construction project.

Lim Vanna, the wall’s owner, allegedly filed a complaint with authorities over its breaking.

Pisey further said that 10 workers at the site got a boy to go buy them some gasoline with the intent of starting a fire. Police then held the boy to prevent further damage.

At this point, he said the workers in Savoeun’s employ gathered sticks, knives and swords and began throwing rubbish at the officers.

But Thai Phanny, a nearby villager, told The Post that Pisey’s claims were meant to escape criticism. He claims officers beat the 10-year-old boy on the head until blood came from his ears, adding that there was collusion over the ownership of the land.

“The authorities colluded [with Lim Vanna] to forge documents against Savoeun and his workers to claim ownership of over 12,000 square metres. The land belonged to Savoeun,” Phanny claimed.

On Tuesday, Pisey led nearly 100 police officials to the site to investigate Vanna’s complaint that Savoeun was putting up an illegal construction on the land.

Neither Vanna nor Savoeun could be reached for comment on Wednesday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh authorities ban march for Human Rights Day

    Phnom Penh authorities have banned a planned march as local NGOs and workers’ unions gear up to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the signing of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights on Monday, with a youth group leader saying they would march nonetheless. The UN

  • Phnom Penh’s Jet’s Container Night Market shuts down

    The famous Jet’s Container Night Market in central Phnom Penh has shut down due to the high cost of the land rental, company representatives claim. Jet’s Container Night Market is the largest such market in Phnom Penh. It operated for just over two

  • Hun Sen rejects ‘rift’ rumours spread by ‘stupid gangsters’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday denied a “rift” among top leaders of the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), and rejected claims that Senate president Say Chhum and Interior Minister Sar Kheng were set to be removed from their positions as rumours spread by “gangsters”.

  • EU ambassador to Cambodia: Rights a ‘work in progress’

    The EU ambassador to Cambodia has called human rights “a work in progress” and said the 28-nation bloc has “carefully” noted last week’s statement by the government on taking further steps to strengthen democracy and the political sphere in the Kingdom. The EU marked