Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Doctors pronounce Nuon Chea mentally fit

Doctors pronounce Nuon Chea mentally fit

Doctors pronounce Nuon Chea mentally fit

After a course of physical examinations spanning the last few weeks, Brother Number

2, Nuon Chea, 82, was judged mentally and physically ready to stand trial for Khmer

Rouge war crimes, the tribunal announced on November 1.

The Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) also announced that it

has separated the case file for the first defendant arrested, former torture prison

chief Kaing Guek Eav, better known by his alias Duch, from the other defendants.

The judicial investigation into his role as chief of the Toul Sleng detention center

"should be brought to a close in the coming months," the statement said.

The aim is to conclude the investigation during the first half of 2008.

Duch's lawyer, Ka Savuth, declined comment.

Nuon Chea's health has been a cause of speculation for the last month as conflicting

reports about his hospital visits emerged. The octogenarian was arrested at his home

outside Pailin on September 19.

"He underwent an in-depth examination including a coronarography. These examinations

concluded that he is in a stable condition and that there is no medical reason which

would run counter to his detention conditions or participation in the judicial investigation,"

said a statement released by the ECCC. He was examined by three doctors.

Nuon Chea "retains perfectly satisfactory intellectual autonomy for his age,"

the statement said. "Medical follow-up will be ensured, including further expert

medical examinations two or three times a year."

According to Peter Foster, United Nations Assistance to the Khmer Rouge Tribunal

(UNAKRT) spokesperson, the separation of the 63-year-old Duch's case means that "there

will now be at least two separate cases from the original co-prosecutors submission

of five names. We still do not yet know if the remaining names from the submission

will be tried together or in a group or in a couple of groups."

The court is widely expected to make another arrest soon. The most likely additional

KR defendants are Khieu Samphan, 76, and Ieng Sary, 78 and his wife Ieng Thirith,

75. Questions have come up about Thirith's mental abilities as she may be suffering

from dementia. Ieng Sary is also in poor physical health, according to people who

have recently seen him requiring assistance walking to his pagoda.

For the benefit of potential civil parties, the statement also noted that in addition

to the alleged crimes perpetrated at Toul Sleng, the overall ongoing judicial investigation

"covers three broad categories of alleged crimes: forced movements of the population;

killings, torture and other abuses at a range of security and detention centers;

and forced labor, unlawful detention and inhuman living conditions perpetrated in

other locations."

Victims who have queries on the process for filing Civil Party applications will

soon be able to visit the court's Victims Unit which will become operational "in

coming days," the statement said. Until then, requests for information may be

made directly to the office of the Co-Investigating Judges, it added.

Thun Saray, president of local rights group Adhoc, said the separation of Duch's

file from the other investigations could be due to the fact that there are two groups

of people who will be tried at the ECCC - those "most responsible" for

crimes committed under the Khmer Rouge, and "senior leaders."

"Duch belongs to the second group - those 'most responsible' - and the others,

such as Nuon Chea, belong to the first - 'senior leaders' - the level of responsibility

is different," said Saray.

Saray said the most important thing for the court to focus on now is whether defendants

will be freed on bail.

"They haven't decided if they can keep detaining them," he said. "Duch's

lawyer has filed a complaint to the court saying his client should be released on

bail. There will be a hearing on November 20, and we - NGOs, members of civil society

- believe he should be detained more, that he should not be freed on bail."

Foster said the November 1 announcements were part of the court's new plan to give

regular updates so the public can keep current on the courts progress.

MOST VIEWED

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s