Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Documents debate continues at tribunal

Documents debate continues at tribunal

Documents debate continues at tribunal

The prosecution yes­terday contested suggestions from de­­­­fence lawyers that certain documents included in their list for the first “mini-trial” in the Khmer Rouge tribunal’s second case were beyond the scope of the charges being addressed.

“All of the parts of the indictment dealing with the establishment and operations of this regime are relevant; they are a part of this first trial whether the defence like it or not,” senior assistant co-prosecutor Tarik Abdulhak said in court.

Evidence hearings at the tribunal this week have centred on the admissibility of documents supporting the indictment and some of those put forward by the prosecution.

Co-defence counsel for former Khmer Rouge Brother Num­ber Two Nuon Chea, Son Arun, objected to documents described by the prosecution as “DK media and public statements”, requesting again to see originals of documents and suggesting that some could have been “manufactured”.

In recent hearings, Nuon Chea repeatedly asked to be shown original copies of Revolutionary Flag and Revolutionary Youth magazines that were presented to him in court.

Co-defence counsel for former Khmer Rouge foreign affairs minister Ieng Sary, Michael Karnavas, stated that simply because a document was included in the case file or referenced in the indictment did not make it admissible at trial.

International deputy co-prosecutor William Smith stated it had already been ruled that originals were not required to be produced before the court.

Civil party lead co-lawyer Elisabeth Simmoneau Fort said defence teams had “abused” their discretion this week by repeating objections, a comment Karnavas later termed “insulting and unwarranted”.

Hearings next week are set to include the testimony of a representative from the Documentation Centre of Cambodia, an independent NGO that has provided some 500,000 documents to parties at the ECCC.

MOST VIEWED

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Long way to go before Cambodia gets a ‘smart city’

    Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang will struggle to attain smart city status without adopting far reaching master plans, according to officials tasked with implementing the program. The brainchild of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), the smart city program seeks to link up

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman

  • China-Cambodia tourism forum held

    The Cambodian tourism sector must be prepared to welcome a growing number of Chinese tourists, as they lead the globe in the number of outbound travellers and were responsible for the most visitors to the Kingdom last year, the country’s tourism minister said on