Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Donations to be distributed



Donations to be distributed

Donations to be distributed

TWO weeks after the Diamond Island stampede left hundreds dead and wounded the government has collected more than US$600,000 from domestic and foreign donors, adding to more than $2 million in private donations.

The majority of the contributions have been made in the form of direct payments to families of those who perished during the Water Festival’s tragic final night.

Of the total $656,635 raised, the government committed $1,870 to each family of the dead, according to a statement signed by Deputy Prime Minister Sok An.

Council of Ministers Spokesman Phay Siphan said yesterday he believed that all of the money had been distributed, and that the Cambodian Red Cross was managing the fund.

The Chinese government donated $500,000 on November 26, Chinese embassy spokesman Qian Hai said yesterday. Chinese businesses contributed $120,000 according to Xinhua.

But Cambodians made big contributions as well. Yesterday Bayon TV finished distributing the $1,250,185 it raised. “Most donations we got from the Cambodian people in the countryside”, said Huot Kheangveng, Bayon TV deputy general director, adding that employees visited 17 provinces to hand out the money.

“Today [yesterday] is the last day for us to distribute the Bayon Television fund to the families of the dead”, he said, adding that families received $5,261 from Bayon TV for each death.

Meanwhile, Cambodia Television Network said yesterday it was still in the process of distributing donations.

Spokesman Pol Vibo said he will go to Kandal province with government officials this week to hand out $2,231 each to families of 66 people from Kandal who died in the stampede. He said the families of 83 people from Phnom Penh who had died received donations on Saturday.

CTN and Cellcard raised $994,741 through donations made in person, by phone and through direct bank payments, according to a statement released over the weekend. Some $56,000 was raised via phone calls and text messages.

Eighty percent of the money will be given to families who lost someone to the stampede, CTN said, while those injured will receive the rest.

Additional reporting by Mom Kunthear

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting